Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ever start a quilt & quit because you aren't happy with it? >

Ever start a quilt & quit because you aren't happy with it?

Ever start a quilt & quit because you aren't happy with it?

Old 01-24-2012, 09:24 AM

I think I would finish it for him anyway and let him use it. Buy better fabrics a little at a time as the budget allows and make a better one for him when he is older and will take better care of it. Either way, it will be from mom and he will love it.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:35 AM

I had this creative idea of doing a cat quilt. I appliqued the cats that I got from a book on to the squares. then I embroidered a pretty stitch around them. But this was over 7 years ago? The blocks have sit there because I just could not get any inspiration on how to finish it. Nothing popped out at me at all. Now that I am back into quilting.......I have toyed with some ideas and I might go and finish that puppy after all. I made a quilt for my SIL in her colors and I hated every moment I worked on that quilt. I couldn't stand the colors at all. But I had to finish it because it is what she picked out and what she wanted. I decided that I won't ask folks anymore. I will just make a quilt that I enjoy working on and if they like it great...they can have it.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:38 AM

Yes, and I still have yet to finish the quilt a year later. It sits nicely in a drawer with a few other ufos.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:38 AM

The Walmart material will not hold up. Take it from someone who did make a quilt with that material. If you want it to last, then you better quit now and get better fabric.
I have done the same, started a quilt and quit because did not like, that is another reason I have several UFOs. I would use what you have for a simple couch throw, be sure to quilt it heavily so you do get some durability into it, then move onto better fabrics for your son. To me, nothing would be more disappointing than to receive a quilt and it not last for a long time. We like heirlooms and quilts are one of those heirlooms we like to keep.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:40 AM

Denise P has a good point in making for the child. He will love it either way.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:22 AM

I have done that. When I just can't seem to finish it because I just hate working on it, I wait until my quilt guild has a white elephant sale and I donate it as an UFO and let someone else that may like it finish it. I have never tossed any quilt project in the trash and beleive it or not sometime in a future show and tell at our guild someone will show that quilt I hated. Just try to put a smile on and more on to another quilt don't let this one get you down.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:31 AM

Thanks for all the wonderful advice!! I asked my son, and he actually ended up choosing a new quilt block that I have been anxious to try - a vintage Bear Paw in blues. What I've decided to do is set the other one aside (it's camo and kinda 'blah' colors), and work on his Bear Paw first since I'm excited about it. Then when I'm finished go back to the other one and make a small couch quilt for him that he could take to friends houses for sleepovers.

I appreciate the comments that make me feel less guilty about setting it aside now - even for only a season.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:50 AM

I do that all the time but because I fall in love with the next quilt I want to start. You may find that a boy will outgrow any quilt you make him, not just in size but his phases. You need to set this project aside and when you go back to it, it might look a whole lot better. Or, just finish it is what I would recommend because that you won't regret it in the long run but you will regret the wasted time and frustration. You can always use a old sheet or even go to a Thrift store and find a new one then you won't worry so much about cost. Save money there before you purchase fabric for the next one. Every quilt is a learning experience and setting the bar at finishing each one will prove a valuable tool. Beside, he is a boy! Give him one you don't care about then make him a nice one you like.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:57 AM

I would grit my teeth and finish the quilt. Then donate same to a deserving charity. Some one out there will love having it. Y ou will feel better because you didn't waste your time and money, but brought happiness to some one.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler View Post
I wasn't going to just trash it, and don't really have extra funds or time to finish & donate it. The backing & batting wouldn't be cheap for me. My reasoning is that I wanted to make something that lasted for him, and I'm afraid the Walmart material I bought just won't stand up to the test of time, especially for a boy.
You might finish just the top and then offer it for sale as an unfinished top. There's a market for those, too.