Westie? Maltese? or what?

Old 02-02-2012, 12:51 AM

Another warning regarding terriers. They are very high energy dogs and require high energy owners. Puppies are insane with needle sharp teeth and they tend to stay puppy-like for years! Not recommended for anyone on blood thinners. Also many require professional grooming on at least a monthly basis to keep the terrier look. That being said, I personally cannot imagine life without an Airdale Terrier at my side. This is Portia.
Attached Thumbnails portia006.jpg  
Old 02-02-2012, 02:28 AM

We had a Westie and adored her...absolutely wonderful dog. Since you dog-sit one, you have an idea. We found our Bonnie to be a big dog in a little dog package. VERY SMART! (We also had a Border Collie, considered one of the smartest dogs, and Bonnie kept up with her every step of the way.) Disposition wonderful. Brave. Would bark but not yippy like little dogs. Stubborn, you do need to be firm. High energy, but not so much that we had to do extreme amounts of exercise with her. Running in the fenced back yard chasing balls was generally enough. We did walks but if we did a really long one her short little legs would tire out. Ours was extremely loving and loyal, loved to be with us whatever we were doing. A cuddler. We now have an aging Lab-mix, but we've said if we ever get another dog we'll definitely consider another Westie.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:07 AM

<------- My little baby is a Westi-poo (white highland terrier & poodle), and I adore her. She is pretty calm most of the time, but she can be high energy as well. Of course we have a large yard for her to run in, when that hits her. She is very demanding of attention though. It is on her terms, and when she wants your attention, she is going to get it. She is one of the most loving dogs I have ever had...and I would not trade her for the world. When I went looking I had wanted a White Highland Terrier, but they were pretty costly. We bought her from a breeder in MO. and when she was 8weeks old, she flew to AZ to come to live in her new home. She melted my heart the minute she arrived off that plane, and she has had it ever since. She makes me laugh and smile all the time. She is almost always by my side, she is my best friend.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:28 AM

Animal rescue groups are the way to go as they usually have hands on experience with each animal and can tell you which ones are the cuddlers and they (the pets) are usually house trained. All my furr babies are rescue and my ragdoll cat is the cuddler of the bunch and we have a mixed chihuahua/Jack Russell that prefers napping on your tummy to anything else. (he is 2 yrs old) He is a true lover. Take the time to find the perfect match for your family and not just a quick look.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:52 AM

WE have a "Teddy Bear" She is part Bichon and part Shi ZLu---She is a lap dog for sure, pretty as can be and very smart. Have had her for almost 2 years. Trained easy, sleeps in crate at night.. Goes out for quick walk 3 xs day.
Needs grooming every 6-8-weeks. Cost $40.00.. We only have one problem..... She is stubborn---/when she wants a toy that has gotten under furniture, she will bark until we get it for her... She loves company?? very egar to meet others. She was very expensive. $1500.00 - but came with crate,food, collar, leash food for 6 months, cookies.several other things Her name is Angel and she is that.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:28 AM

Sorry about your DH being housebound. It is not fun. Now, for my 2 cents worth, For a small lap dog, I prefer the Chihuahua but, they are active. So, i agree with most of the folks on this board. Go to your local shelter. If you want a puppy ( a lot of work) they have them. They also have older dogs. Be careful of the older dogs as they may be there because of problems. Not housebroken, biting, barking (apartment dogs) or just plain unwanted. I have had remarkable luck with all 10 of my shelter pets. They give all love and don't really expect much in return. Whatever you get, enjoy the love.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:49 AM

I absolutely love Labs and they are such good companions. Is there anyway your lab could become a house dog? If/when you daughter moves out, she may not even be able to take the lab with her...
Old 02-02-2012, 07:00 AM

PLEASE consider adopting. We have a purebred (Portuguese Water Dog) and got him a companion mutt from the shelter. What a wonderful dog! He was already about two years old when we adopted him so he was already housebroken, etc. And he learned the house rules in a flash. You mentioned money was a concern -- you will find most shelter adoption fees to be very reasonable, often under $100. Also check out www.petfinder.com if you don't find something at your local shelter.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:10 AM

I've had 2 westies we're great , loved sitting in my lap. 1 poodle only wanted me wouldn't listen to Husband.cockerpoo so loveable more mid size , just a mutt loveable mid size still laid his heand in my lap. And now I have a Peke. Sheds but is the sweetheart, loves being with everyone and sleeps in my lap and my bed too.
I suggest looking at shelter first. You can ask questions and play and see if the dog like to be cuddled. Than go to a breeder. but than your looking at puppies, training and you can't be sure either of their personality. I feel it's a shot in the dark. I have been lucky over 42 years of haviing dogs who were great. I wish you luck in your search, let us know what you decided. Yorkies ,chihuas can be very yippe dogs from my experience. Cocker spaniels have eye and ear problems. Go to web sites and read up on the different dogs this might be very helpful too. Let us know!!
Old 02-02-2012, 07:15 AM

See if you can find an older 'mix' dog at the shelters -- you'll save a life, and know up front what your dog will look like & will be easier to see their 'personality'. We have 2 yorkies (ours are larger at 9 and 10 lb), and LOVE them, but they are very expensive (to purchase) & at the end of their lives. Ours have medical issues at 13 years old & meds run over $200 a month. Maltese require lots of brushing. Chi's can be very yappy and nervous. So a mix is probably a good bet as the cross breeding eliminates a lot of the inherit problems with each breed....Cavalier King Charles Spaniels with heart problems, yorkies with knee problems and windpipes that shut down, etc. Not having too small a dog means it won't be run over by the 2 bigger dogs, too when they come in to visit or outside.