Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Unexpected fire - beware! >

Unexpected fire - beware!

Unexpected fire - beware!

Old 05-14-2012, 05:51 AM

you should take pictures of your burns; the quilt; backing and the iron - to have for a record . they have gone to producung poor quality irons and you shouldn't have to pay for it. if they don't stand behind their product they should be sued . sometimes they only way to get them to reimburse you is to threaten with a lawsuit. that could have been much worse for you and i hope your hand heals ok . imagine that blowing up in someones face !! that is why i think the only way to have them fix the problem is for people to really complain when something like this happens because it may keep it from happening to someone else.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:53 AM

Several years ago, I had a fairly new Black & Decker iron that caught fire and burned my brand-new ironing board cover. When I contacted the company about it, they didn't want to do anything about it. I took the iron back to Wal Mart and got a Sunbeam--which I love--. I hounded Black & Decker for another ironing board cover, because mine was new (I don't buy new ones very often). They would not even give me a cover. About a month after the constant hounding, they sent me a blender for my trouble. I didn't need a blender. I have alwys wished I had handled it different. I think they should have compensated me a little better. I had left my sewing room several hours earlier, and if I hadn't smelled something hot, my house could have burned down. It was supposed to be automatic off, but it obviously wasn't.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:11 AM

Rowenta should replace either the backing fabric or the cost, not to mention another iron if you even wanted it. That is a very scary scenario. Hope you are ok with the burn.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by mrsmail View Post
Several years ago, I had a fairly new Black & Decker iron that caught fire and burned my brand-new ironing board cover. When I contacted the company about it, they didn't want to do anything about it. I took the iron back to Wal Mart and got a Sunbeam--which I love--. I hounded Black & Decker for another ironing board cover, because mine was new (I don't buy new ones very often). They would not even give me a cover. About a month after the constant hounding, they sent me a blender for my trouble. I didn't need a blender. I have alwys wished I had handled it different. I think they should have compensated me a little better. I had left my sewing room several hours earlier, and if I hadn't smelled something hot, my house could have burned down. It was supposed to be automatic off, but it obviously wasn't.
I never trust the auto off, I always unplug, However last month I forgot, and guess what my T fal (the best model for under $40) was off and cool as a cucumber. I am on my second one, having dropped the first and broke the spout to fill for steam, my bachelor son now has it and it still works fine. I also love the soleplate which is SO slick that nothing not even iron on adhesive will stick when you clean it.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:24 AM

Please report this to the Consumer Protection Agency or find out what agency tracks safety hazards of appliances. This may not be a unique event and sometimes recalls are appropriate. If it's not reported, these incidents will continue and perhaps become more common.
Sorry this happened to you. It'd be so frightening! My old Rowenta developed an electrical problem and I put it in the trash before it 'caught fire'. Now, I always disconnect the iron when I leave the room and am done sewing. I bought a Sunbeam that works okay--doesn't heat as well as the Rowenta but I do feel safer.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:28 AM

I agree with the posts about documenting your injuries and the iron, the fabric and ironing board cover with photos. May I also suggest that if you do not get the compensation for the iron, fabric and your injuries you are do, remember there is always facebook. You can post your issue on your wall and on Rowenta's as well (I'm sure they have a facebook page.) No company wants the bad publicity. Also, keep after them. You deserve an immediate reply. I burned my hand with steam from a microwave dish covered in plastic. It took two weeks with my hand bandaged. You really should see a doctor for proper treatment and for documentation. Hope you heal soon and you get the satisfaction from Rowenta you deserve.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

Do what the other posters are saying!

Document, Document, Document!

Take pictures of the iron, your fabric, your hand. Write down what you were doing at the time.

Along with reporting this to Rowenta, laynak's suggestion to report to a Consumer Protection Agency is EXCELLENT!
From just reading the posts on here, a lot of irons seem to have issues that could - and have - turned into safety hazards. If 'they' don't know about the problem(s), 'they' can't do anything about them. And I doubt that very many members of that agency are reading this board - or if they are - that they are tracking irons.

UL - Underwriters Laboratories - might be another place to tell about your experience.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:57 AM

Wow! I'm glad you didn't get terrible burns or catch the house on fire. I had an iron cord melt years ago while I was using it. That was scary. Please let us know what the company will do for you in replaceing, refunding or helping you with cost of materials. Big hugs.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:59 AM

OMG I hope your burns will heal quickly and I am so sorry this happened. I would say it is a freak accident but I believe I have read about other quilters having iron issues.
I'm sorry about your quilt too
Old 05-14-2012, 07:03 AM
Power Poster

The hairdryer coils will glow a low red when the setting is switched to heat and if enough dust gets on the coils or not enough air from a clogged intake, they will get too hot and glow bright red/orange and break from the heat. Be sure your hair dryer has a removable air filter so it can be kept cleaned inside.