Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many are basically lone quilters or have close friends they quilt with? >

How many are basically lone quilters or have close friends they quilt with?

How many are basically lone quilters or have close friends they quilt with?

Old 06-13-2009, 11:00 AM

Being a man, I'm pretty much a lone quilter as a result. I checked into our local quilt guild which has a pretty large following. They meet monthly and their website newsletter indicates that they have about 70 members attend each meeting. But I was looking at the bylaws on their website and it says that the guild is open to women only and that men are prohibited from attending any functions. That's the reason my initial post here on this forum was to ask if men are allowed, I didn't want to step on any toes in case they weren't. Happily, we are! :)
Old 06-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Power Poster

Hey Eddie, what is the reasoning behind your local guild's ban on male members?
Old 06-13-2009, 11:40 AM

I'm not really sure. I know several of the members of the guild personally, attend church with them, as well as involved with them in historic preservations groups here. But I didn't really want to make any waves by asking about it. I'd love to attend their meetings, they have show and tell, speakers, etc., but would hate if it caused any kind of issue with any of them there, which it might could since there are so many involved. Maybe someday it will change.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:04 PM
Banned

eddie

i would ask someone you're friends with that's a member of the guild. it could be something they don't believe in any longer but haven't gotten around to changing in writing.

my local guild had a bylaw that meetings could only occur on tuesday at 10:30am.

this was an outdated policy that prevented so many people from joining do to employment commitments that they changed it when membership started to die off.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:20 PM
Power Poster

loner
Old 06-13-2009, 12:22 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Eddie
Being a man, I'm pretty much a lone quilter as a result. I checked into our local quilt guild which has a pretty large following. They meet monthly and their website newsletter indicates that they have about 70 members attend each meeting. But I was looking at the bylaws on their website and it says that the guild is open to women only and that men are prohibited from attending any functions. That's the reason my initial post here on this forum was to ask if men are allowed, I didn't want to step on any toes in case they weren't. Happily, we are! :)
The only reason I can think of would be that sometimes when women are together they talk about things that they would prefer to discuss with no men present - such as female health issues, problems with their men, etc.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Power Poster

But if the group has gotten large, that doesn't seem reasonable any longer, either.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie
I'm not really sure. I know several of the members of the guild personally, attend church with them, as well as involved with them in historic preservations groups here. But I didn't really want to make any waves by asking about it. I'd love to attend their meetings, they have show and tell, speakers, etc., but would hate if it caused any kind of issue with any of them there, which it might could since there are so many involved. Maybe someday it will change.
Or if you're not comfortable asking, have your wife ask some of the church members....

Old 06-13-2009, 02:29 PM

Hey eddie read between the lines here, i wouldnt bother with them there or even chat in here but thats just me. Chris
Old 06-13-2009, 02:57 PM

Every Wednesday, my neighbor and I get together to work on projects. Right now, we are working on the E.B. Underground Railroad blocks. It makes it nice to chit-chat about the blocks and any problems we are having as we work on them.

Once a month, we go to a large guild meeting but we get the most enjoyment with our small (just the two of us) Wednesday meetings.