Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Watching out for Tender Feelings and yet Giving Advice >
  • Watching out for Tender Feelings and yet Giving Advice

• Watching out for Tender Feelings and yet Giving Advice

Old 03-31-2013, 09:29 AM

I personally would want to add some to the larger quilt. She did a lot of work and it would be such a shame to have it spoiled with the first or second washing.
    Old 03-31-2013, 09:41 AM
    Power Poster

while complimenting them on an outstanding job, express your concerns based on the experience of you and others. Let them know you are not criticizing just suggesting from experience... what they do after that is their choice
    Old 03-31-2013, 10:00 AM

I might try something like, "oh, by the way, did I even explain to you about how batting works? Batting needs to be quilted a certain distance to keep it from falling apart when you wash the quilt. The manufacturers recommendations are on the package. Did you happen to read the package the batting came in." I would keep it real light and see if the girls respond. I always make it sound like it's something I forgot to mention in my instructions, so I don't hurt anyone's feelings.
    Old 03-31-2013, 10:04 AM

if it was me i would look at said quilt and complement then ask what batting they used because there wasnt alot of stiches and you want to get some batting and then maybe talk about stiches to different batting you have used.
    Old 03-31-2013, 10:11 AM

You know what? If you've already broached the subject with them, that should be enough. In time, they may realize that their quilts needed more. They may be happy with them for years to come. Who says a quilt has to last more than one generation? I know you paid for one of them. That was done out of the goodness of your heart. They may, in time, ask for assistance. If they haven't, leave them be. They may be as happy as clams for the time being. Also, they may want to make more in the future. If and when that happens, bring them on shop hops and let them see 'quilting templates' or a design wall that has examples of quilting. They may notice then the difference between theirs and the ones hanging up. Everyone has to start somewhere. Maybe they feel they're 'done' with their quilts. After all, it is theirs, correct? If quilting is something either takes up, they will realize it one day anyway. Just be happy for them.

Last edited by orangeroom; 03-31-2013 at 10:14 AM.
    Old 03-31-2013, 11:11 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Good luck as either way well you know the old saying!LOL!!
    Let them make their own mistakes and as they get better they will learn from their mistakes and realize oh man I really did make a mistake on that. With my grands I have learned to just let it be and let them learn as they go forward with their sewing/quilting/crafting.
    Old 03-31-2013, 12:35 PM

Here's my take on it from the other side of the fence:

If I were 12, or even as just a 'first-time-quilter' I would be more proud of "my" quilt than concerned about technicalities. Let them be happy with their successes. Should they come back and want to continue quilting, they will learn more than just the basics, and their techniques will improve. They'll be able to have the comparison later on, and be able to see their own growth with each project.
    Personally, I'd let it go.

ETA: I didn't realize that Cas said pretty much the same thing a bit ago...as perhaps did others on this thread.
    Old 03-31-2013, 01:40 PM

I would ask myself which I valued more, the relationships or the quilts.
    Old 03-31-2013, 02:33 PM

It can be fixed. Leave it be, and then help them rip it out and fix it when the time comes.
    Old 03-31-2013, 04:21 PM
    Power Poster

I would compliment colors and patterns. If they fall apart when washed I think they will ask you why that happened. Then you could suggest more quilting on the next one. Some people have to learn on their own.