Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I am horrified!! >
  • I am horrified!!

• I am horrified!!

Old 08-10-2013, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Rennie
    Probably a dumb question - but since I am just starting to get into doing quilts (very basic beginner) - when you talk about a stash of fabrics - other than fat quarters which I have more than 211 of already - what size do you buy when you purchase. I was thinking a yard - but while working on my first quilt, I see I need bigger pieces in order to get my borders made. I don't want to have to "shop" every time I need border yardage - but obviously fat quarters won't work and I am not sure 1 yard pieces are big enough. Any suggestions? Rene

I think this is one reason why my stash grows. I started off buying one yard of fabrics and it was about a year before I realized that that just isn't enough. So I started buying 2 yards and decided that wasn't enough...not when you want a border and binding out of a fabric that is in the center. I now buy 3, but who knows where I will stop.

I think one reason I went ahead and counted my fabric is that I am a counter. I tend to count things. I count the number of crackers I eat, I count the number of steps it is to the mail box, I used to count how many papers I had left to grade (retired teacher), etc. I know it isn't normal, but I am a counter. I think I am mentally counting to compare the amount to what I thought it might be...sort of checking my estimate. If anyone had asked me, I would have said I thought I had about 100 pieces of fabric. The 211 really surprised me.

I have enjoyed hearing about all your stacks! Mine fits right in, and I haven't cancelled my trip to the fabric store. I still need a specific purple and I can always use more white on white!!

Dina

Dina
    Old 08-10-2013, 06:15 AM

I think of my stash as part of the decor. Not to long ago I put my stash in book cases in both my sewing room and in the computer room. Love to see a quilt pattern on the computer and plan it using the fabric I can see. Planning not to be confused with making.
    Old 08-10-2013, 07:29 AM

You are a normal quilter...Join the club & don't be horrified. I went into my supply last week and my son asked where I got what I had pulled out and I told him, his remark and you knew right where you wanted was, I said yes, he called me a hoarder, I said no a hoarder does not use anything and I do at some point in time. No more comment from him.
    Old 08-10-2013, 07:30 AM

Don't be horrified. I don't even want to count my stash. But just for kicks I counted just one shelf full and there were over 55 fabrics folded on that one shelf. Now if I multiply that by the number of shelves.........YIKES!!!!! Then to top that off, count all the bins you might have stashed with fat quarters, jelly rolls, etc. You don't even want to go there. But isn't it fun to just feel the fabrics you have once in a while, drool over the luscious colors and designs? I do try to use what I have but once in a while I'll find I need just one or two more to complete what I need for a project and then I take what I have and go to the fabric store to find something that will go with it. Sometimes I have to start over in my search as I find another fabric that just sings to me.....:-) I'm sure some of you have had that happen, right????

Anyway, I love my stash and its fun to just sit back and look at it up there on the shelves.
    Old 08-10-2013, 07:32 AM

A few years ago there was a garage sale listed in the paper that said "lots of fabric" - so I wanted to be there first thing - hardly slept a wink as I was so excited. Was there first thing the next morning and was slightly disappointed to see that the entire garage was full of double knit fabric. Huge stacks on tables all over the garage. I heard a youngish woman telling somebody that this was her deceased mother's stash and that her daddy let her mother buy so much fabric because "it made her mother so happy" - which almost made me cry.
    Old 08-10-2013, 07:39 AM

YES, some batiks bleed horribly. Out of my 200+ pieces, I am guessing that at least 1/4 of them bled - dark blues were the worst. I even had to throw away two pieces because I kept rinsing and rinsing and nothing stopped them from bleeding - did not want to take the chance of putting them in a quilt. Just go to the "SEARCH" box on here and type in "pre-washing batiks" or something similar and see all of the posts on this topic. I don't have many reds but don't think that they would not bleed also. HTH

Originally Posted by EvieD44
    I didn't know that you should wash all your batiks before using them..........why? Do they run? I love reading what's on this board almost every morning but I don't post. Don't know how things work on it. I know.....I know ....I should read how to do things. But that's like Facebook....I'm on that but don't usually post things either. Just love to look at the pics of my kids and grandchildren and friends of mine. I've been quilting for about 10 years, been retired for 5 years. I don't quilt regularly, only when I'm working on a project. I also have some UFO's. Now concerning my stash....I have it in two large book cases, and some draws and on some shelves.....I seem to be more of a collector than a sewer!!! But when I go in my sewing room I love to just stand there and look at all the beautiful colors!! I love my "stash" I don't know how much I have either.....but I know it's not enough! It will never be enough. And yes I do pick from it and I have made quilts from it without hardly buying any for that project. Nice talking to everyone! I just love, love this site......such wonderful people on it. I sit here every morning with my coffee and enjoy all of you!
    Old 08-10-2013, 08:10 AM

I'm not counting! It's just amazing how much fabric can just find it's way into my sewing room!! I find that some of the prints make beautiful blouses & there's still leftover for quilts. That's exactly what I'm doing now ... making blouses for my vacation from my stash. So don't be horrified ... your a quilter!
    Old 08-10-2013, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    That's the whole point!!! At least in MY world, and I encourage it in others. For instance, I often sew at night (not yet - still another few weeks after surgery before I can do that!), I sew on the weekends, I sew when the shops are closed and it would really cramp my style if I had to run out for the right thing at those times. For instance, I just recently completed a curved log cabin quilt in graded shades of reds/golds/teal that had at least 50 different fabrics in it -- ALL from my stash. I'd have spent hours and hours if I had had to shop for those fabrics. Yuck!

Looks to me like you are off to a great start in your quilting career!
    Jan,
    YEA! Glad that you are back (at least to the typing and reading stages so far). You always offer such good advice. You have been missed.
    Old 08-10-2013, 08:19 AM

Think of your stash as you would your pantry -- surely you don't want an empty pantry! Buy things when you see them that you feel are unique and will use, or that are standard items that are always used. A good habit is to check the pantry before you plan the dinner!
    Old 08-10-2013, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Dina
    One of my non-quilting friends asked me how much fabric I had in my stash. I told her I didn't know and was unwilling to guess because all of my stash is folded neatly on bookshelves, and I didn't know how many yards were in each piece of fabric...plus I sure wasn't going unfold anything.

She suggested I just count how many different fabrics I have. So, I did, counting anything that was over one yard...as I have my scraps and smaller amounts out of sight.

It turns out that I have 211 different fabrics!! I am horrified. I have only been quilting 3 years. How did I buy this much fabric?? I'm thinking that maybe I don't need that trip to the fabric store that I had planned for tomorrow.

Am I unusual or do I fit right in??

Dina
    I was wondering why a non-quilter would be so insistent on knowing how much fabric you have. I would have told her that it doesn't matter how much I have but how much enjoyment I get from it. People that don't quilt, just don't understand about our desire to have beautiful fabric. Don't feel guilty about it, just enjoy it and continue creating from it and adding to your stash when you want.