Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • ?? to much fabric >
  • ?? to much fabric

• ?? to much fabric

Old 05-30-2014, 10:43 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Prism99
    It's usually not possible to recoup fabric costs. Occasionally, if you have a vintage fabric that someone wants, you can sell it on eBay or Etsy for more than you paid. That is the exception, though. Most of what I want to get rid of is regular calico that has little value these days when people are looking for designer fabrics.
    what do you think are reasonable expectations on selling from stash?
    I can live with not recouping back to where I was before buying...(buyer's remorse and all that),
    but I have taken super good care of all my stuff and still have the original tickets etc.
    I know what I paid and I am willing to take "some" off.
    Some of it is from wally's and some from Joann's.
    I don't think I'll be selling any that came from a quilt store unless it was online,
    like Hancocks, Fabric.come...something like that.
    Old 05-30-2014, 11:44 AM
    Power Poster

For non-designer fabric, I would expect to recoup less than half of original purchase price. Perhaps closer to one-third by the time you factor in postage costs.

Edit: You can check "for sale" info here on the QB. The QB has guidelines on what you can ask for fabric. Another place to sell online is here: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/SewItsForSale/info
    as, like the QB, there is no cost associated with posting a listing. Craigslist is another no-cost way to post fabric to sale; however, usually people looking at Craigslist are expecting to buy in quantity -- totes, boxes, etc. of fabric at maybe 10% of original price.

Last edited by Prism99; 05-30-2014 at 11:46 AM.
    Old 05-30-2014, 02:06 PM

I sometimes feel overwhelmed with the size of my stash. Since I work full time I don't have that much time to sew, but I have so many ideas and have accumulated a lot of "kits" (meaning I bought fabric and pattern for a project I haven't made yet). My friend has cleaned out twice an about the last 2-3 years and given it to me, so I re-organize mine, keep what I still like, and then take a bunch to donate to the guild's comfort quilt program. I have most of my tubs labeled now so can find what I am looking for. Most of my "kits" are in their own plastic shoe boxes on shelves. I have about 3 more years until retirement and can hardly wait to have time to play with it. The way prices are going, I think I will be glad to have plenty of supplies for my hobby when I am living on retirement income.
    Old 05-30-2014, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mousie
    I've never looked into selling any fabric on here.
    Is it really possible to regain most of what I put into the fabric?
    I can't believe I'm really going to do this, but that's what it's come to.
    I'd rather have the space and keep what I will really use.
    QB rules pretty much make it impossible to recoup what you paid unless you bought on sale. $6 per yard is the maximum you can charge for name brand fabric.
    Old 05-30-2014, 03:48 PM

You never can have too much fabric. You can use some of the fabric you were given and the fabric you bought to make charity quilts. Have fun going through the fabric and see what goes together. If it is too much fabric, you could always donate some to local groups that will make use of the fabric, or give some to your friends.
    Old 05-30-2014, 05:38 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Prism99
    For non-designer fabric, I would expect to recoup less than half of original purchase price. Perhaps closer to one-third by the time you factor in postage costs.

Edit: You can check "for sale" info here on the QB. The QB has guidelines on what you can ask for fabric. Another place to sell online is here: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/SewItsForSale/info
    as, like the QB, there is no cost associated with posting a listing. Craigslist is another no-cost way to post fabric to sale; however, usually people looking at Craigslist are expecting to buy in quantity -- totes, boxes, etc. of fabric at maybe 10% of original price.
    When I get the ones to sell sorted out, selling in bulk might be the easiest way for me.
    I have too many health problems to make this hard on myself.
    Thanks, you have given me lots of useful information here.
    Old 05-30-2014, 05:41 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Skyangel
    I sometimes feel overwhelmed with the size of my stash. Since I work full time I don't have that much time to sew, but I have so many ideas and have accumulated a lot of "kits" (meaning I bought fabric and pattern for a project I haven't made yet). My friend has cleaned out twice an about the last 2-3 years and given it to me, so I re-organize mine, keep what I still like, and then take a bunch to donate to the guild's comfort quilt program. I have most of my tubs labeled now so can find what I am looking for. Most of my "kits" are in their own plastic shoe boxes on shelves. I have about 3 more years until retirement and can hardly wait to have time to play with it. The way prices are going, I think I will be glad to have plenty of supplies for my hobby when I am living on retirement income.
    I can tell you, when it comes to my notions etc. there is no buyer's remorse.
    Most of this stuff was acquired when things were much less expensive and I'm not a bit sorry.
    You won't be either.
    Tools don't depreciate or take up as much room as fabric.
    lol, it's just that destashing a bit, it like giving a pet away!
    Old 05-30-2014, 05:44 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Luv Quilts and Cats
    You never can have too much fabric. You can use some of the fabric you were given and the fabric you bought to make charity quilts. Have fun going through the fabric and see what goes together. If it is too much fabric, you could always donate some to local groups that will make use of the fabric, or give some to your friends.
    I'd love to do charity quilts, but my health issues won't cooperate.
    I'll be doing good to get stuff finished for family and I still haven't made a quilt for our bed.
    I did one in the early 90's before I had ever picked up a quilting book.
    It's still nice, if you don't look at the back, lol. I did a huge asterik through the backing and batting and then
    put the front on and tacked it.
    Old 05-30-2014, 06:00 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Me and my quilt group make donated quilts so I woud never turn good usable fabric away... Even the 'older' fabs are used.. As long as its good usable cotton fabric WE WILL MAKE USE OF IT.. no problem..
    Old 05-30-2014, 06:07 PM
    Power Poster

Mousie, a recent thread indicated that quilting fabric weighs about 4.5 ounces per yard. Alternatively, by weight, you have about 3.5 yards per pound. What you might want to do is weigh the fabric in order to estimate yardage, then advertise on Craigslist something like "approximately 100 yards assorted quilting fabric" and price it at 50% of what you paid for it. If someone is interested, you can let them bargain and perhaps get 40% or so of your investment back. Keeps it simple.

Oh, and here's the thread:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...x-t247445.html