Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sometimes it's hard to admit who you are - am I nuts? >
  • Sometimes it's hard to admit who you are - am I nuts?

• Sometimes it's hard to admit who you are - am I nuts?

Old 07-14-2014, 08:44 AM

I love making my quilt tops. My binding...not so much. Some members of my quilt group talk about their "masterpiece quilt." This is a quilt that they intend to pass on to their heirs. I sit in amazement. They spend years on this one quilt. Granted, it is a true "masterpiece." However, I have no desire to spend years on a quilt when I can make several quilts. I want to make happy colorful quilts. My "heirs" will not get something they can sell for thousands of dollars in the future. They will be getting something they can cuddle in now. I am just a good quilter who likes to quilt. I will cop to that!
    Old 07-14-2014, 08:46 AM

Hi Butterfli19 ,No you are not crazy and certainly do not need to grow up ! I admire those perfectionists but wouldn't want to go there.That way I would worry about my work,that I do not want to do,I want to enjoy and pass on that enjoyment.When I taught patchwork I used to tell them to relax and just do their best ,realise that they were producing something unique.Plus that only God was perfect --- and who would really like His job.So don't grow up and don't feel crazy,be happy.Love Letty.
    Old 07-14-2014, 09:27 AM

Such an affirming thread!
    Old 07-14-2014, 09:52 AM

People who are master quilters have a special talent I will never possess. I will never be able to play the piano like some at my church but enjoy doing what I can at home. I also will never be a great cook but passable for those who come to eat. I think we each have our own special abilities and to enjoy what you do is a great thing. My kids love the doll clothes, quilts, crocheted blankets and other things that grandma makes. Why torture yourself with wanting to be something you're not. Enjoy the unique person you are, I'm sure others feel the same.
    Old 07-14-2014, 10:12 AM
    Power Poster

I do simple/easy quilts - but I do try to do them as well as I can!

I compare the "masterpiece quilters" and the "everyday quilters" to the fancy chefs that use exotic ingredients for show-off events as compared to the everyday cooks that nurture their families everyday.
    Old 07-14-2014, 10:24 AM

I love this topic and agree with everything being said. Quilting is a fun hobby and making them to enjoy is my intention.
    Old 07-14-2014, 11:54 AM

Master quilter, me??? No way, no how. I love to look at the gorgeous quilts both here on QB and at shows. I am both inspired by and intimidated by them. Inspired to make them, intimidated because my skill level (even after almost 20 years of quilting) is just not "up to snuff". I make the quilts I like, some simple, some complex, and I say, "good enough". If I love them, so be it. There is no such thing as the quilt police! Do what you like, how you like...and remember, "you rock your world!"
    Old 07-14-2014, 12:24 PM

Nancy,
    I love using children's fabrics in my quilts, it makes me happy. I use bright colors in my quilts.
    Sharon
    Old 07-14-2014, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I do simple/easy quilts - but I do try to do them as well as I can!

I compare the "masterpiece quilters" and the "everyday quilters" to the fancy chefs that use exotic ingredients for show-off events as compared to the everyday cooks that nurture their families everyday.
    Exactly!
    Old 07-14-2014, 01:26 PM

I love this thread. I think this is why they say,"youth is wasted on the young." It takes years (at least it did me) to get your priorities straight and realize what is really important. And spending my time the way I want is important. This year I will make my last two graduation quilts for my grandchildren and then will be able to try some others. I have loved doing them, but they are all the same & I want to try some other kinds of quilts. I haven't made many because I love other sewing also. And I have g-grandbabies on the way to sew for! It's wonderful that what I make pleases others, but I please myself in how I make something.