Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Could anyone else be as an untidy quilter and sewer?.... >
  • Could anyone else be as an untidy quilter and sewer?....

• Could anyone else be as an untidy quilter and sewer?....

Old 01-24-2015, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7
    I try to clean up my room with every finished project. When it is clean I call my husband in to take a look cause it looks so nice! But as he says -- it can either be clean or be used. It just can't be both ways!
    I agree! Clean or used!
    Old 01-24-2015, 07:11 AM

One thing I found so helpful with stray threads is a masking tape roller. At times I just throw the threads on the floor around my sewing area. When I'm done sewing, while still sitting in the chair, I use the roller to pick up loose threads around the floor area which is carpet and desk mat. I run the roller around the table tops, and myself, too. This is soooo much easier than thinking about running a vacuum, or sweeping up. I get the giant pack of tape rollers at Costco. Dollar Store might have them, too. I also have a plastic dish (my grandchildrens' old baby food dish) to collect what small scraps I can't use, then throw them in the trash. Whatever scraps I think I can eventually use I throw in a trash container under the table. (I dread empting that in a year or two LOL). Near my machine I have a top to one of the plastic shoe boxes. I lined it with a piece of free motion quilting I did and I keep my cutter, favorite scissors, seam ripper and other tools I need close by. This works for me. Blessings to all. angela
    Old 01-24-2015, 09:16 AM

I'm with pennyhal. My stuff is everywhere in two rooms, plus sewing machines in various states of disrepair in some of the other rooms. But DH doesn't seem to mind, and when he gets a tired look on his face from all the mess (I know that look), I go on a cleaning tear (have to call in a GD, but don't mind doing that); and we both are in a good mood 'til the next time.
    Old 01-24-2015, 10:11 AM

One of the best things I ever found was this giant lint roller doohicky. I use it before I vacuum, and it keeps the vacuum cleaner from getting tangled up with thread, and keeps the chair wheels clear also.

http://www.amazon.com/Evercare-Clean.../dp/B00CJSPVC8
    Old 01-24-2015, 10:37 AM

I used to work in an alterations shop and cleaning the wheels of the seamstresses chairs was one of the jobs for the person who worked the counter. We'd put the chair upside down on the edge of a table and go after them with small scissors, seam rippers and tweezers. It's amazing how many threads never make it in the garbage can even when you aim for it, when working.
    Old 01-24-2015, 10:56 AM

I am reading all these comments and laughing in recognition. My chair wheels are begging to be snipped free again.

I have a cafeteria-size table for my machine, a slightly smaller table for cutting and an ironing board in a U-shape around me when I sew. Despite having bins and boxes and containers of all kinds, I can hardly find room to work. Right now, I have moved a small cutting board to the ironing board which is the only semi-clear surface in the room and keep moving the board to the side so I can press my blocks. There are unfinished blocks, folded ironed fabric waiting to go into the stash cupboard, pattern pieces, extra sheets and scraps of tracing paper, semi-completed blocks, a half-done very difficult travel bag, etc. etc. cluttering all the surfaces! I may go mad. (but I am having fun)
    Old 01-24-2015, 09:30 PM

I like the thread in the wheels of the office chair I use at my treadle, it won't roll backwards when I sew.
    Old 01-25-2015, 10:08 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

OH I have to clean my chair rollers quite often and clean then re-organize my stuff (almost like weekly !LOL but I am thinking of changing that !LOL). I enjoy sewing, quilting and it shows. Right now I am organizing all the patterns I have printed off the internet into folders so I can see if I truly want to do that .. Then I have to take the ones off the computer and store them on a jump drive or on a disc..
    Yep well .. it is what it is ..LOL :=)
    Old 01-25-2015, 10:10 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Originally Posted by QandE2010
    I agree! Clean or used!
    Indeed I agree .. My hubs always asks what I am working on next in the "Swear Room" as its referred to (sometimes he catches me swearing in there.. BAD.. I know !LOL ) :=)
    Old 01-25-2015, 11:00 AM

Well, I know that I am not a neat "sewist". My basic problem is that I am GREAT at taking stuff out, but truly STINK at putting it back.