Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gray haired "old woman" and JoAnn's young sales clerk >

Gray haired "old woman" and JoAnn's young sales clerk

Gray haired "old woman" and JoAnn's young sales clerk

Old 10-29-2009, 10:00 AM

I think its for ironing sleeves, I have one also, had it for many many years and don't even know wheree I got it. Marge
Old 10-29-2009, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by trupeach
I thought about this long and hard and if it was me I would go back and approch the same girl since you asked from dressmakes ham I would now ask where the quilters balogna is.

Y'all have MADE my day today!!! That was a great comeback crashnquilt - I love it!! Thanks for the LAUGH!
(I MUST share your story with some of my friends too!)
Old 10-29-2009, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Andi
Doesn't it scare you just a bit, that we are leaving the world to them?????
:lol: I'm sure the older generation felt the same way about us when we were just starting out into the world.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:09 AM

My dear little grandmother would be 101 if she still lived & she would totally freak if she knew what went on in the world today. I can't believe what the kids do & I'm not that old. As I tell my kids, "I didn't just fall off the banana boat. " I do know more than you think I know. And anything you can think of has already been done maybe twice.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:19 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol: Great comeback!
It amazes me how many people can't compute how much change to give back when you give them a penny or two after the money drawer is open. I actually had one take out a calculator; she didn't believe me when I told her how much to give back.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by kd124
:lol: :lol: :lol: Great comeback!
It amazes me how many people can't compute how much change to give back when you give them a penny or two after the money drawer is open. I actually had one take out a calculator; she didn't believe me when I told her how much to give back.
That comes with the use and dependency on calculators and computers. These later generations have not learned (and practiced) the PROCESS like our generation has done. In my dad's office the only automated item was a crank-type adding machine.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:33 AM
Power Poster

Even with calculators and computers, it's still useful to know which buttons to press to get the desired answer.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Even with calculators and computers, it's still useful to know which buttons to press to get the desired answer.
You bet! I agree. But my point is that we learned and know the process of finding the solutions. The next generations have depended on these things and don't know HOW to find the answers when they don't have any calculators or computers available. Since I've been quilting I have really appreciated the efforts of the teachers who taught me to use decimals, fractions, etc. I wish I had paid more attention to the geometry :oops: .
Old 10-29-2009, 11:35 AM

Honestly, JoAnns should be paying US to shop there!
Old 10-29-2009, 11:49 AM

I laughed at this one, too. The comeback was great. :lol: :lol:

And even though I'm 50 years old, I did not know what a dressmaker's ham was. I'm thinking not many guys know this. I know now, though. We need to remember that ignorance is not a bad thing. Stupidity is. Not knowing something, because you've never experienced it before is OK. Knowing better and still acting like an idiot is not OK. At least, this person tried their best to help, based on their limited knowledge and experience. And I'd bet if they were shown a dressmaker's ham once, they would remember what it was from then on. Afterwards, if they had some initiative, they may have looked it up on the internet to become more knowledgeable.