Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gray haired "old woman" and JoAnn's young sales clerk >

Gray haired "old woman" and JoAnn's young sales clerk

Gray haired "old woman" and JoAnn's young sales clerk

Old 11-09-2009, 10:49 PM

I had home ec in school the teacher didn't teach much.The other girls had their moms sew for them and of course their stuff was great. Except my friend to this day can't sew on a button or anything. I have taught my self as a adult ( we are in our mid 50"s now) and she still teases me that I was the one that got a D-- in that class. Also they taught cooking but our class just learned to clean up after the class before us.I have worked and helped a catering service and cooked 3 meals a day for 300 boy scouts. So I think it is a shame they don't teach it but I also don't think that the kids these days are interested. The girls that I have tried to help say they want to learn but what they want is for you to do it all for them. I have sent it home with them to do and They never come back to finish it or ask about it anymore. Vidoe games and Tv is more interesting I guess.But then maybe it is just mean of me to expect for them to do there own stuff so they learn haha.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:12 AM

Every Tuesday afternoon I work with a 14 year old girl teaching her to sew. She honestly wants to learn and is doing a fine job. We've only been doing it a short time but she seems to be enjoying it. So far she has done a skirt. Now she is working on snuggie type things for her family for Christmas.

It was fun to see her face when she wore her skirt for the first time. It has been a very rewarding experience for all of us.

I did tell her what a ham was after this discussion.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:23 AM

I took a quilting class a few years ago. The class right after mine was a regular sewing class....for "challenged" kids. There were 4 girls, ages about 12 to 25. They were very obviously loving what they were doing, and weren't afraid to show their pride when anyone asked to see their work. And their work really was very good!!!! Maybe they will be the future seamstresses/quilters. :)