Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gray haired "old woman" and JoAnn's young sales clerk >

Gray haired "old woman" and JoAnn's young sales clerk

Gray haired "old woman" and JoAnn's young sales clerk

Old 11-01-2009, 09:29 PM

A few months back, I went to our Joann's looking for the Dritz Yo Yo makers and a young girl that worked there asked what I was looking for and when I told her she said Oh we don't carry those. So I went looking on my own and found them. On my way to the check out I showed her what they were and where they were and was nice about it and she was nice in return. Funny thing is, she doesn't work there anymore!
Old 11-07-2009, 09:02 AM

Thanks for the picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I knew if I kept looking speedily through all the comments, I would see a picture and I put on the brakes. Good thinking! :thumbup: I never heard of it either.

That was so funny, wish I could think that fast to reply a funny and such a "fit right in " answer. I know you have the best EVER sense of humor. Thanks' for making us laugh! Good job!!!! :wink:
Old 11-09-2009, 05:15 AM

Just a note of encouragemnet!!!! My granddaughter has autism but is very high functioning in some areas. This year because her nana has been right on top of everything happening at school (and not afraid to speak up, loudly if necessary), she is in a two (2) hour cooking class. (She's classified as 11th grade) During open house I visited each classroom and teacher. These kids have a commercial kitchen to work in, had 6 weeks of safety training before being allowed to begin any cooking. Last week they made bananna bread!!! They are being taught about balanced meals, etc. However this is not a mandatory class for any high school student. I know that high school students don't want parents involved in any of their study choices, but we parents may be at a point where we need to push back at little, ---- if you want to drive, then you need to learn to cook. The car goes to the grocery store just as easily as to the local fast foods places.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:29 AM

I saw this as just a funny too, not really indended to "put down" anyone, but I did sense the frustration of being considered to be "mixed up/confussed, etc. because we have grey hair, are a little plump, and maybe don't walk as fast as we use too. So it really is a two way street. No young person should be considered "dumb" because they are young, and no older person should be considered "mixed up because they are older. There was a funny saying going around our office once that ended in "Don't open your mouth and remove all doubt"
Old 11-09-2009, 06:36 AM

ROFLMBO!!!! Now that was quite funny. I can imagine the suprised look on the young lady's face when she went to retell the story later, thinking to get a good laugh and instead being shown where the dress hams are. If she has a good sense of humor, she will be ok and likely won't ever forget what a dress ham is. :lol:
Old 11-09-2009, 06:45 AM

I think the quote goes like this. "Better to keep your mouth shut & look like a fool instead of opening it & remove all doubt."
Old 11-09-2009, 06:57 AM

After going back and reading up on what a dress ham is, I can see where it would be useful and I think I'm going to have to go get one. I wonder how well it would work with curved seams. It seems like it would work quite well.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:40 AM

My Mom grew up in Nuremberg Germany and she taught me to "make do with what you have on hand" She never would have shopped for that "ham" She more than likely would have tightly rolled up a sock stiched it closed and used that. As a little girl I would sit and watch her darn my Dad's socks. She would slip either a light bulb or a stainless steel ladel up to the heel or toe and her magic would begin. That lady could darn so beautifully.
My Mom has been gone for 16 years and I think of her often and "make do" when ever I am able, and it makes me feel greatful for her struggles she went through as a youngster in war torn Germany because I saw a strength in her I seldom see today.

It is tragic how basic skills are NOT being taught. What a great opportunity to educate that young lady. But I must admit I laughed at how quick your wit was.

Thanks for letting me think fondly on my Mom. I miss her terribly!
Old 11-09-2009, 08:38 AM

My best quilter buddy friend works for Joanns and she loves it. She is great with color and is a prize winning quilter. She has patrons come in all the time to show her their results that she helped them with. I told her she is getting groupies. Her pet peeve is that everyone she works with always pawn the customers onto her if they're too difficult or want color choices.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:43 AM

I'm glad my 7 year old grand daughter is taking an interest in sewing.......and she's learning from her Nana! I think it is a down right shame that they don't teach Home Economics in High School anymore! How many here know how to make a bed with nothing but flat sheets and do hospital corners?........LOL!

I laughed so hard at your response to that "young'un" ! Way to go!