Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
is this quilt worth quilting? >

is this quilt worth quilting?

is this quilt worth quilting?

Old 11-19-2017, 10:05 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JJBlaine View Post
I also like it, but totally understand. I've had more than a few quilts that I wasn't thrilled with myself, and no one could convince me to like them. I can't remember where I read it, but one of my biggest quilty inspirations is, "Even ugly quilts are warm!"

My solution was to use them as backings for another quilt that I liked better, that way I did not dread quilting them! I liked the surprise of a a pieced backing so much, I have decided to do it to all of my quilts, and get rid of a few of those UFOs I had lost interest in.
"use the quilts you don't like as backings"...what a great idea!!!
Old 11-19-2017, 10:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
I like its funky, modern vibe and the colors, but I can't tell you if it's "worth" quilting because worth is determined by you. Do you want to put any more time, money and thought into it, or are you ready to pass it along as a UFO to someone else, and be free of it?

Could just be that you're in the stage that most everyone reaches in making a quilt--the 'eh, not so much" stage where we waffle between giving up or going on. But then once it's quilted, suddenly we like it again.

I would put a statute of limitations on myself as to how much longer to keep it unfinished. IN other words, make up your mind by Nov 30 (or whatever you determine) and if you haven't wanted to pick it up again, give it away as is. Decision is made and you can move on, one way or another.

oh, zozee, what a practical way to go about this. Give yourself a window of time and if you haven't picked it
back up, it's time to donate. smart.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:50 AM
Power Poster

Some projects do end up as "things I will remember to do (or not do) next time."

I like the idea of using a quilt top that one was ambivalent about as a backing.

I also hate to waste a lot of effort and fabric.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:21 AM

thank you Dear Ladies for your comments, all very honest and valuable.
so, I share my story with MDH, who has quite often very good suggestions in fabric selection, borders etc. He looked at the quilt and he likes it, then I put the quilt on our bed and it already looks so different and I started to like it. I looked at it for a while and a quilting pattern started to appear in my head. I am on my way to quilt it. I have coming in the mail several yards of wide backing, just white muslin. once the Thanksgiving is over I will start to quilt it. Thank you again and happy Thanksgiving to You all.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:26 AM
Power Poster

The layout ended up being "unpredictable" - which does make it more interesting than a "regular" layout.

I think the way you made it puts it more into the "modern" category than the "traditional" category.

You DH sounds like a sweetie.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:31 AM

I love it!!! yes I would quilt it. Hey another idea feel free to send it my way , I'd love it fit in my home perfect LOL!!
Old 11-19-2017, 12:05 PM

Sure quilt it. It will be fine and serve the purpose of wrapping someone with warmth.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:12 PM

I guess there could be a flimsy somewhere that isn't worthy of quilting but I don't think this is one. Sure, it isn't perfect but what the heck, how many are? Like djmat said, somebody will love having this. Quilt it.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:16 PM

After all our time and effort we sometimes do not like the end result. Someone else will. Quilt it and then it's a gift, or a donation.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:12 PM

You could always tie it