Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wal-Mart/ Joann's fabric >

Wal-Mart/ Joann's fabric

Wal-Mart/ Joann's fabric

Old 01-24-2010, 09:06 AM
JLD

I am new to quilting but my mom has been doing it forever. She said the same thing you were told. She says that she can find fabric in the quilting stores for about what Joann's is charging for theirs. My rule of thumb - I bought from the quilting store for the quilt that I wanted to last forever (not saying that I couldn't have done it with Joann's just used mom's rule of thumb) and I have used the Joann's or Walmart for baby quilts I have made for friends, and will use them for the quilts for my teens as they have great sales. But I think I will listen to others that have commented and do the feel test. Just my thoughts
Old 01-24-2010, 09:42 AM

When I first started quilting, I would buy any fabric that I liked as far as the print, be it WalMart, JoAnn or LQS. BUT, when I really got into quilting big time, I sold all my cheaper (which you can definitely tell the difference) fabrics on eBay and only stick with the good quality fabrics. There are sooo many quilt shops online and auction places that you can get excellent quilt fabrics for $3-to $9 per yard. Look for sales, just because the fabric is last year's collection, doesn't mean it is no good. I very seldom buy fabrics at $6 yd or more. Too much competition out there, you can find a great bargain! Many Free Shipping offers, too. I used to work at JoAnn's and their prices have really gone up. They are so-s0, but I think I will stick with the good stuff.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:54 AM

Wow, if I didn't buy from Wallmart , I wouldn't be able to make as many projects. I also have a few favorite online sites that I buy from too. I've been a bit dissapointed in Joanne's lately, but I use the coupons for notions and buy my warm and natural there when it's on sale.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by ebony
fellow quilters i am sorry.
i had no idea this question would generate such strong feelings.
it's just that as a new quilter i am trying to do all the 'right things'. trying to make everything perfect the first time out-from pattern selection,to fabric,to color, thread,etc.
am i making it harder than it should be?
grandma took old clothes and made beautiful quilts( i still have one of hers and it is 43 years old) and i feel guilty about not shopping in the 'right' stores.
i can't seem to get it right.
please forgive me if i stepped on anyones toes.
dont worry about it. there is no RIGHT way to quilt!
my mother and I used to ONLY recover existing blankets with new tops and backing, then she recieved whole bagfulls of sewing factory coat fabric remenants!!! so we made quilts with that! MOST of my first quilts where made with sleeping bag liner fabric as backing! we also used sheets as backing.... come to find out its a BIG no no in the quilting world... but ask me if I care?
all of these quilts are still going strong, and they where soooooo fun to make!
Advice for beginers is... match your products to your skill level! expensive fabric does not magically line up the seams for you :) buy something cheaper to start and work your way up as you get better
my two cents ;)
Old 01-24-2010, 06:13 PM

I am often buying and using, for the backing, good used sheets from the thrift stores......I look very closely at the sheets, to be sure they are not faded, not stained, no holes, etc.......and often, I find sheets that are in very good shape, and they make pretty backings. I dont do hand quilting, but for the machine, they work just fine. Most of the stores sell them for around $2.00 regardless of the size (twin, king, whatever, same price) so that is a LOT of fabric for the price, and usually its good fabric, and good colors and etc. Just thought I would mention this, for those of us who are on tight budgets and MUST have the fabrics to keep on quilting !
Old 01-24-2010, 09:31 PM

Great discussion! The feel test is the key. I was told years ago that "anybody can get fabric printed as long as the run meets the factory's minimum." Seems like the minimum was 2000 yards. The "gray goods," the quality of the fabric that is printed on is where we get into Walmart/JoAnns vs LQS quality fabrics. While in Sacramento in the late 90's Beverly's had zillions of Thimbleberries prints on flannel. The print was on the wrong side of the flannel (less fluffy side) and these were prints that were never released by Thimbleberries in flannel. I buy what I like, fabrics that pass the feel test and give the impression they will hold up. If I am making an "heirloom" I test any suspicious fabric a number of ways: Rub it while both wet and dry with a white cloth to see if color comes off; place a swatch in the car window to see if it fades; press a measured swatch to see if it shrinks unreasonably; wash and dry a measured swatch to see if it shrinks unreasonably and rub it against itself to see if it pills or sheds. The majority of my quilting is for charity and we receive generous donations of all kinds. Where possible we try to honor the gift by using it, if it doesn't pass our muster we try to donate it on where it can be used for crafts instead.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:16 AM

this is my first reply,I was under the impression jo anns fabric was very good?I am blessed to have an affordable fabrics where I live and pay only 1.99 a yard,the only draw back is I never have enough cash,they have soooo much.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:33 AM

In MY opinion... Joann is great for MOST things it is perfect! works great! if your quilting for fun use walmart/joann fabric its worth it :)
if your quilting for show or to last a lifetime DONT! instead buy the best you can get.

again my two cents
Old 01-25-2010, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltMania
Patrice hit the nail right on the head.

I've said it before -- location of purchase is no guarantee of quality. I've bought some stuff at the LQS that turned out to be garbage and some that was wonderful. The same was true for the fabric I bought at Walmart and at Joanns. You have to feel the fabric and check for quality no matter where you shop.

I especially like Patrice's comment about noses and their purpose. I agree 100%. No one should judge what fabric/store folks choose to spend their money on. Get what you like and can afford in the best quality possible. We should move on from where folks shop and to celebrating the wonderful art they create.
The "Nose Looker-Downers" sound like ladies who took lessons at LQS to learn to quilt. I'm equally addicted to quilting books and fabric.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:49 PM

I buy most of my material at Wal mart & have been VERY VERY satisfied with it, my quilts are used every day & in the wash a lot no fading nor fraying. They do carry some flimsy material but if you check it out by feel & look close at it, you can get some real bargains. I even buy the $1.50 a yard fabric & have been happy with that, also made a quilt with that & it is just as bright as when I made it 2 years ago & that is one of the quilts thats in the wash alot, so don't knock it til you try it especially in this economy. just feel it, & look at it carefully. I think you'll find alot you will like & want to use.