Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cotton fabric costs are going up >

Cotton fabric costs are going up

Cotton fabric costs are going up

Old 04-29-2010, 09:05 PM
Power Poster

Yes, as my fellow Aussie quilters say, prices for quilting fabric are very expensive here. Our LQS has fabric for $29 per metre, and around $5 for fat quarters, so often supporting the smaller stores really is difficult. I try for the best quality I can, and have had some good buys recently, around $6.99 for some good quality plain fabrics. You just have to be strong and really search the bargain tables.

As Billy pointed out recycling and recreating are going to be the things that keep us going...often my thrift store bargains are the most beautiful and nothing gets your fingers tingling more than a vintage find .... always keep in mind, someone's fashion disaster is just a stunning quilt waiting to be put together.

As pointed out by other posters, you don't need all the "fruit" to make a good quilt, sure it's lovely to have lots of tools, rulers and such, but to me I try and keep it simple and make my money stretch. I am not giving this quilting up for anything!
Old 04-29-2010, 09:28 PM

As if they werent high enough already I have noticed JoAnns have raised their prices and both of our big wal=mart stores do not carry fabric anymore besides quilt shops or on=line we do not have very many places to shop Almost forgot we do have a Hobby Lobby but they too are high any kind of print starts out at around 4.00 or more Guess everyone working on their rooms best be adding extra space for storage so they can buy before priuces get too nhigh lol
Old 04-29-2010, 09:33 PM

At JoAnn's almost everything is going up. Snuggle flannel will go up an additional $2 per yard, so get it while you can. Not sure about Cozy Flannel yet.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:21 PM

ive been doing thrift stores for fabric, use clothes myself, little girls blouses, skirts, shirts, etc. has worked for me so far.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by topper1
ive been doing thrift stores for fabric, use clothes myself, little girls blouses, skirts, shirts, etc. has worked for me so far.
If you go to www.quiltville.com, Bonnie Hunter has many amazing patterns, tutorials, etc. on using scraps AND using men's shirts to make quilts, she shows how to disassemble shirts and clothing to use the fabrics. So, be on the lookout in your own closets and thrift stores for large shirts, etc. to use the fabrics.
We're all going back to the basics and quilting started out as a 'frugal' way to use up feed sacks, old clothing, etc to make useful and beautiful quilts.
Kind Regards,
MaryAnna
Old 04-30-2010, 04:02 AM

I like everyone's sense of bargain hunting! Half of the fun is in the search - the other is in the money saved. I'm off this morning to see what bargains I can find. I've been making pillowcases for the million pillowcase challenge from fabric that I got for free from a lady who made custom baby linens. I put an ad on Craigs list and she replied to it. Never know until you ask!!
Old 04-30-2010, 04:41 AM

Just think what the oil spill in the Gulf is going to do to gas prices, PLUS THE DAMAGE TO THE ENVIRONMENT!!

Just another reason for the shippers to raise their prices.

If the fabric was made in this country instead of overseas we may not have to pay as much. I know the labor may be lots cheaper in China but that is no excuse for the manufacturers to put americans out of work and then make us pay and pay for the shipping. And since the bottom line is the driving factor the prices will continue to rise if we purchase less.

Perhaps we should write the manufacturers and demand american made.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:20 AM

This is what happens when our country lets everything go overseas. To bad there isn't an easy way to bring back more production in our own country.Think how wonderful it would be to see some of this production returned to this country. It would also provide more jobs.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:26 AM

Connecting Threads fabric IS made in this country!!! BUY AMERICAN!!! When a friend of mine went to Marshalls Dry Goods to order fabric every one of her choices was 'out of stock' -someone must be buying alot :)... Frugality will get us all through this time...
Old 04-30-2010, 05:30 AM

If we want to see prices get better then we need to stop buying products manufactured overseas.I've learnt to read the labels and you'd be surprised what in now manufactured elsewhere.Starting at home is the only way to improve things.Longarm,your thoughts may not be far from what needs to happen.We've been quiet to long now.How much money did people sve that bougt those faulty Toyota vehicles.American Made is still the best. IF YOU CAN STILL FIND IT.