Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Common misconceptions (misperceptions?) about your state/country. >

Common misconceptions (misperceptions?) about your state/country.

Common misconceptions (misperceptions?) about your state/country.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Beth33
It doesn't snow 365 days a year in Buffalo.
But doesn't it take take the 37 days a year that it doesn't snow to melt what's there???
Old 06-23-2010, 07:25 PM

[quote=JJs]Misconception: everybody in Alabama is uneducated and "red-neck" (whatever that's supposed to mean)

The term red-neck was first coined when miners from other states went to West Virginia (I think it was) to help the coal miners that were being treated so badly there. They drove or rode trains as far as they could and then ended up having to walk for miles. They tied red handkerchief around their necks to show solidarity and to easily recognise each other--hence the term "Redneck". So I guess it means honest, hardworking men that care enough about others to do something about injustice.
Unfortunately the red kerchiefs made them "spottable" to others too and many were killed in an ambush in a narrow mountain pass by the mining companies hired guns.

Just a little trivia so that you'll know to walk tall and be proud the next time someone refers to you or your state's people as rednecks.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:26 PM

This is fun! Ok, my turn. I live in Las Vegas. No, I don't live on the Strip, and I don't have a slot machine in my living room! (but yes, they are nearly everywhere else, even in the convenience stores, and the grocery stores!)
Old 06-23-2010, 07:32 PM
Power Poster

Iowa isn't one big corn field. I have a small yard and can't grow corn. Tee hee.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:36 PM

As a transplanted Texas who now resides in Louisiana,I will write about my "new" state. Have lived here for 10 years. New Orleans isn't just the French Quarter and Bourbon Street, it's great art, music and food. The highways and roads here are terrible. The people are friendly and care deeply for their family. Our state bird is or was thanks to BP the brown pelican. All of us in this state are very sad about the oil spill. Pray for the whole gulf coast. This is a fun thread.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:39 PM

New York

We don't all work on Wall Street. We don't all live in high-rise apartment buildings and many of us actually have grass yards. And other than the city, our housing costs are among the lowest in the country. Unfortunately, taxes aren't.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:42 PM

I am a native Californian as were my parents. California does to have 4 seasons. Remember the Donner Party? And then there is the Mojave Desert with temps well over 100. The beautiful Sierra Nevada's with beautiful warmth in the summer and several feet of snow in the winter. The coast goes from the southern warmth to the northern cold. People born here do not have accents and hardly anyone lives like those in Marin County. Oh . . . we are also a collaboration of every state with coast, mountains, desert, farm land, cattle, commercial fishing, teck geeks. And some of us are blond, tan, with perfect bodies. Not me tho, I'm short, plump and gray.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:38 PM

Well said Forest Hobbit..... We have it all, then some. :)
Take a pinch of this and that, and throw in a few curves. Open up your mind and enjoy the variations, Foods good to!! :)
Old 06-23-2010, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by ann clare
In Ireland we do not have Leprechauns (An elf who looks like a little old man according to Irish folklore.)
We also have indoor plumbing. (Not joking, I was asked this once!)
Old 06-23-2010, 10:20 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cuilteanna
Originally Posted by ann clare
In Ireland we do not have Leprechauns (An elf who looks like a little old man according to Irish folklore.)
We also have indoor plumbing. (Not joking, I was asked this once!)
Not in Ireland so no Leprechauns...I have been asked about the indoor plumbing....ok, I do live in one of the most isolated cities in the world, but we do have bathrooms, cool architecture, technology, art and universities....