Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Common misconceptions (misperceptions?) about your state/country. >
  • Common misconceptions (misperceptions?) about your state/country.

• Common misconceptions (misperceptions?) about your state/country.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
    All Iowans are not HICKS!! And we don't live in the sticks!! A lot of us have actually been to college!!! And we don't all run around barefoot all the time(But I do! LOL).

The thing that irritates me is when they want to make a character sound like he is going into the back of beyond they use Iowa as the place he is going to! We do have culture and it isn't all hog farms and corn fields!! LOL

And there are more towns in Iowa than just Des Moines and Davenport. BTW Des Moines in pronounced D-Moyn Not Dez Moyns.
    Where was it the Radar O'Reilly was from?
    Old 06-24-2010, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Sassy913
    Washington State is NOT pronounced WaRshington as many do, and though the R could stand for rain, it mostly drizzles, not downpours like it does in Arizona where I now live. And though I lived in WA for 23 years, I did not grow webbed feet. However, there is a great deal of truth to the laid back attitude of the great Northwest, and WA was/is a beautiful and friendly state to live in.

Regarding AZ, though called a right-to-work state, it is NOT the employee rights that are upheld as much as the employers. Fair wages are not the norm in many areas and they just recently got on board with the Federal minimum wage. But all in all, I love being in a dryer climate though dusty, and enjoy the lakes and pine trees that abound at our altitude. I had to move from WA due to serious complications to a specific mold that grows there.
    Speaking of lakes. I remember years ago they said that Arizona had more boat owners than the state of Minnesota - land of a thousand lakes.
    Old 06-24-2010, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
    Nebraska isn't flat (soon to be my home!) Drive the back roads, get off the interstate and drive up into the sand hills, some of the most beautiful scenery. Drive the bluffs along the Missouri river and go down south of North Plate to the canyons. There is lots to see in Nebraska.
    My birth state. All you said is true.
    Old 06-24-2010, 10:38 PM
    dsj

this was just on the news this week that Tennessee is the leading state in the U.S. for volunteering. So that stands true for Tennessee the Volunteer state, and we do have hillbilly's that live here, there are still backwoods people around but the southern hospitality is here in Tennessee.
    Old 06-24-2010, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by keesha_ont
    From Ontario Canada and no there is no snow all year round when you hit the border. I live further south than some american states and they probably get more snow. Yes we are metric.
    When watching the Vancouver Olympics one thing mentioned was that 90% of the people live within 100 miles of the US border. WOW
    Old 06-24-2010, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Brenda Sue
    I lived in Iowa for two years, in Iowa City. I drove to West Branch, Iowa every day to my job at the TV Station. The TV station was in the middle of a huge corn field. There was a grain elevator across the road from us. My allergies were bad while I lived there, when I moved back to Missouri, I felt healed. All I saw in Iowa were corn fields. I see a lot of corn fileds here in Southeast Missouri, too. But, I really liked Iowa. Very, very nice people, worked part time at Hobby Lobby and loved that, too. Customers would ask what part of the South I came from because of my accent. What accent? I thought we all sounded just alike.
    My dad once worked at a TV station in Nebraska that was in the middle of a corn field.
    Old 06-24-2010, 11:01 PM

One last post: I saw most states represented. Did miss Montana and Wyoming. Anyone want to tell us about their state.
    Old 06-25-2010, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by KarenSimon
    Originally Posted by Sadheart
    Ha ha I so hope that you enjoy my state. . .
    No we are not all Mormon. We will not run you out of town if you won't be baptized. Yes we are Christians.
    There are more cities in Salt Lake County than Salt Lake. ha ha ha
    Yes you can buy a drink in the bar. But you might have to buy the membership first. (Although they were trying to change that law last year).
    O yaa Pologymy is still practiced. But not approved of. Usually not by Mormons.
    O and least of but not last Yes Utah is a state. It is on the map right between Colorado and Neveda and its south of Idaho and north of Arizona
    Have a great day Ladies
    My sister - non Mormon - got her Master's degree from BYU. She was definitly in the minority on campus.
    I remember about not being able to buy beer except at a State Liquor store. In Arizona we buy our beer, wine, etc at the local grocery store.
    I was considering going to Southern Utah University... Until my friend decided that it was fun to make fun of the name... and then Dad outlawed out of state schools...
    Old 06-25-2010, 01:03 AM

Well another Alaskan here, we are a part of the U.S.
    we are not located at the lower end of the U.S. as often portrayed on News maps. We do not live in igloos and dog-sledding is not our main form of transportation although it is the official State sport.
    Alaska is a dessert climate and like has been stated about Arizona having a dry heat and being more tolerable than a humid climate, Alaska is a very dry climate and dry cold and doesn't go through you like a wet cold. My hubby swears the coldest he's ever been in his life was in Florida at 10 degrees above and we've both been raised here.
    It does get hot here (80-90)as well as cold in the winter.
    Old 06-25-2010, 03:48 AM

A piece of trivia here. Did you know that if Alaska divided in half to make 2 states, Texas would be the third largest state? In other words, Alaska is more than twice as big as Texas.

El Paso, TX is closer to California than it is Dallas, TX.

Beaumont, TX to El Paso, TX 742 miles. Beaumont, TX to Chicago, IL 770 miles.

Texas is the only state to enter the US by treaty rather than by annexation.