Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Common misconceptions (misperceptions?) about your state/country. >
  • Common misconceptions (misperceptions?) about your state/country.

• Common misconceptions (misperceptions?) about your state/country.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by grammy
    If you say you live in Louisiana, it seems that the only city people from other states recognize is New Orleans. There's a world of difference between North Louisiana and South Louisiana!
    That is so true. My son spent 2 weeks in Shreveport to take some oilfield training. I wanted him to bring me some Red Dog Beer home for a BBQ recipe I had found. Seems you can only get it in south Louisiana. Use to be you could only get Blue Bell Ice Cream in select parts of Texas but now it is state wide.
    Old 06-25-2010, 07:06 AM

I haven't read all the posts yet, but I'm gonna mention my "adopted state"...we moved here 12 years ago...we didn't have to move...we moved here because we fell in love with the state!

West Virginia!!!

Most people think that WV'ians are hicks. But really? Just normal people living normal lives. WV'ians do love the outdoors...hunting, fishing, gardening. The pace is less hectic than some states...but that's the beauty of living here! The scenery is GORGEOUS! The winters can be brutal and the summers HUMID! But the mountains are STUNNING in all seasons!

I was a "flat-lander" for the first 38 years...but now? I feel nekked and vulnerable when I'm not surrounded by mountains! :D
    Old 06-25-2010, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy
    Originally Posted by no1jan
    Upstate New York. People think of New York as being all like the city. We have our rolling mountains, suburbs, and big city. Just like any other state.
    Exactly! And people who live an hour north of New York City think that they live "upstate," lol!! Please - keep driving another 4 or 5 hours, then you're upstate.
    I live in Texas now but grew up in NY (Long Island, to be exact.) We moved to the Catskills (upstate!!) Here in Texas everyone thinks there is only NY City. They have no clue.
    Old 06-25-2010, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Born2Sew
    We don't really have jackalopes in Texas either. We do have jackrabbits though, along with a multitude of other creatures. Rattlesnakes and copperheads being some of the most dangerous critters around. We do see an occasional mountain lion every once in a while and ususally lose a couple of baby calves a year.
    But we have the "chupacabra", and scorpions too!
    Old 06-25-2010, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by JAGSD
    South Dakota is Wonderful! About 4 years ago we took our first vacation to Orlando Florida. While there we got to visiting with some folks when they found out we were from SD they asked us how we survived being attacked by indians, and riding horses everywhere. When they found out we actually have running water, and are neighbors with many wonderful Native American Indians they were astonished. So I guess that would be my comment South Dakota is as updated as the next, and yes there are 4 Presidents faces carved on a mountain named Mount Rushmore, and Chief Crazy Horse being carved now. No, we don't have gun shoot outs, (well unless it's at Deadwoods July 4th celebration, some still ride horses ( I have 2), and there are many family ranches. South Dakota a wonderful place to live and visit.
    I have friends who live in S.D. but are "winter Texans". They actually say yah, youbetcha, uff-duh, just like Minnesotans. Love 'em.
    Old 06-25-2010, 07:30 AM
    QKO

Nevada is really two states, Las Vegas and everything else...

Not all people in Nevada are habitual gamblers...

It's not all desert, we have more mountain ranges than any other state. And we have many lakes, Tahoe being one of the most lovely lakes on earth.

It's not always hot. In western Nevada, where we live, we have four seasons, and they come and go when they're supposed to, mostly...

People here are the most community-oriented, giving folks I've ever had the pleasure to be around...

And prostitution is ONLY legal in licensed, regulated brothels, none of which are in Las Vegas or Reno... :-)

And it's pronounced Nevada, Not "Nev ahhh duh" :-)
    Old 06-25-2010, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
    Oregon -- it rains all the time. NOT true! the coast gets rain (Astoria area gets 53" or so a year). Central Oregon (Bend area) gets - what - 2" a month in the winter -- for about 3 months. Other areas can get even less!

Another: We don't want Californians here....not true!!! We LIKE Californians.....so long as they don't move here and try to change our ways!
    Oregon is not pronounced "Or-ee-GONE." I moved here from Illinois - and it's not "Il-i-noiZ?" It's true about the rain in Oregon - much of the state is desert, but I didn't know that until I moved here. And most of Illinois is NOT Chicago. But Oregon and Illinois are both beautiful and are full of great folks, whether or not they know how to pronounce states' names. I have lots of silly pet peeves, but I sure have many misconceptions and make many mistakes!
    Old 06-25-2010, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Catlady
    Originally Posted by Alu_Rathbone
    In Illinois

We are not ALL in the mafia
    We are not ALL from Chicago (those of us on the out skirts say we are cause it's jsut easier (My town is located just over the boarder of Chicago)
    John Belushi is NOT buried in any Chicago Cemetery... That includes Elmwood Park Cemetery (at least this is what they claim)
    We are not apart of Tornado alley, only on the very very outskirts

We don't all talk like wise guys...

We DO sound like the people on TV so therefore we do not have an accent. ;)

WE did originate Yous Guys... Not New Jersey ;)

Some of the best comedic Actors DID come from Chicago
    and we have the best pizza!LOL
    No, No, No you don't!! New York has the best pizza, the kind with the crust thin and a tiny bit black, and olive oil dripping off your elbow. Yum!!
    Old 06-25-2010, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by mary quite contrary
    A piece of trivia here. Did you know that if Alaska divided in half to make 2 states, Texas would be the third largest state? In other words, Alaska is more than twice as big as Texas.

El Paso, TX is closer to California than it is Dallas, TX.

Beaumont, TX to El Paso, TX 742 miles. Beaumont, TX to Chicago, IL 770 miles.

Texas is the only state to enter the US by treaty rather than by annexation.
    Texas was a separate country :D before joining the U.S. :D
    Old 06-25-2010, 07:48 AM

South western Pa. Home of the first Big Mac, we do say "younz guys" french fries and cole slaw are a part of some of our world famous "samiches" my home town is the birthplace of Gen George C. Marshall WW II general and writer of the Marshall Plan. (hence we have Marshall Park and Marshall Manor and Marshall everything etc.) We do have four seasons and beautiful mountains, hills and three rivers, that form a beautiful picturesque point in Pittsburgh, we have 6 universities in a 50 mile radius, a wonderful cultural arts district and three great sports teams and medical miracles each day at our great hospitals. We aren't all coal miners of welfare lifestyle families. and lastly we do have a store that is called "pants and dat". Love it here!