Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Donations of quilts - who does them and what .... >

Donations of quilts - who does them and what ....

Donations of quilts - who does them and what ....

Old 06-26-2010, 03:38 PM

I do them for Project Linus. Quilts , fleece with crocheted edges, crocheted and knitted, of various sizes.
If you go to the main Project Linus.com website, there are free patterns, for any craft you opt to do and various listings of the sizes we do.
And there are suggestions for the ones that are best for children in ICU situations, that won't get tangled in IV lines.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:48 PM

Our guild has a number of donation projects:
- Cuddle Quilts - go with emergency responders for children experiencing trauma (police, fire)
- ChildCan Quilts - for children undergoing cancer treatments
- Loads of Love - a missionary group that works in the 'stan' countries (Khasikstan, Usbekistan, etc) for orphanages etc
- quilts for families of fallen soldiers
- quiltlets (about 8" x 12") going to soldiers in active duty (they don't have a lot of room for a full quilt, but these small quiltlets can hang over their cots etc, are a small hug to let them know we are thinking of them

We also do an interesting thing with the block of the month program - the ladies running this program this year are asking quilters to make one for themselves and one to donate - and the organizers are putting the donated blocks into quilts for ChildCan.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:51 PM

On my own, I usually make quilts for Project Linus. This is my favorite place to donate quilts because I like the fact that this organization gives the quilts to childred from newborn to 18 years old. Also, it provides the quilts to individual kids, kids in group homes, hospitals, Ronald McDonald house, and those domestic violence shelters, just to name a few.

I used to make mine about 38 x 52 but after having had a couple of conversations with the local co-ordinator I have started making a larger size. We all like using those cute kids fabric for smaller kids quilts and they finish up so much quicker but there is a real shortage of the larger sizes for the older kids. I decided that I would focus on those and so I usually make the quilts now 50 x 70.

I usually make simple patterns keeping in mine that I want something I can quilt my self on my sewing machine with a walking foot.

The local quilt group that I belong to usually plans a day or two a year to work on charity quilts, usually for Project Linus. We do, however, also make other charitable projects such as pillows for heart patients, pillowcases for the local hospital pediatric ward, hats for cancer patients, and bags and pillows for breast cancer patients.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:57 PM

The Cabot Nimble Thimbles sewing group has been making quilts of valor for three years now. We send 24 quilts a month to Afghanistan and Germany. Never enough to cover all our wounded. The Quilts of Valor Foundation is not a political or religious organization. The purpose is to support our troops. It is all volunteer. Piecers and longarmers are teamed up. Everything is donated.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:57 PM

One of the leaders in our Project Linus group just posted to our site that two of ours had gone to the children of a police officer who was killed in the line of duty this week, in a Dallas suburb.

As long as our work brings comfort to children in need, it is always rewarding, and well worth the efforts.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:34 PM

I have donated kids quilts to Salvation Army at Christmas time. Last year I sewed decorative stitch around fleece to make blankets for our local Cancer treatment Center. Donated fleece blankets to "Love INC" (In the name of CHRIST) last Christmas. Also made fleece hat and scarf sets to donate to them as well and sending the hat/scarf sets and fleece blankets to my friend in Ohio for the Charity she works at.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:40 PM

I do quilts for the local pregnancy center(I try to do 1 a month) I try to make a quilt that I as a quilter would enjoy receiving, not just a panel with a little quilting on it, patterned quilts, like log cabins in bright colors, truck blocks(printed) with a nice sashing and cornerstones are stop signs. D9P with nice bright colors, don't think that boys are blue, and girls are pink. I also do an occasional quilt of valor.

I make the quilts myself, but they are given through my guild.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:54 PM

I make donation quilts for the Rainbow Bee of my guild. We provide quilts for the women's shelter and our local police department. I also meke quilts for our church for young girls who are having babies.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:03 PM

So many people making quilts! And good causes all!
WOW!!!
Old 06-26-2010, 06:13 PM

Our guild donates quilts to the Department of Family and Children's Services. Every child who enters the foster system in our county is given a quilt for his/her very own. The quilts are all sizes, all patterns and all colors--whatever strikes the fancy of the quilter. Since the children are all ages and both genders, the variety in quilts "works out."