Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you been arrested................ by the quilt police? >

Have you been arrested................ by the quilt police?

Have you been arrested................ by the quilt police?

Old 07-20-2010, 01:31 PM

Ok the quilt police are gonna get me!!!! I rarely get a label on a quilt. I've gone to actually taking a pigma pen and writing my name and date and quilt name on the front of the quilt in a light color square (or piece) Drives half the people in guild nuts when there is NO label. I point out that if its good enough for painters its good enough for me. grin. Oh I do like to make waves. Anybody else do stuff like that to irritate the local quilt police?
Old 07-20-2010, 01:36 PM

I do somewhat agree that we need to label these works of art we create. After all how would we know we had a famous painting if the artist hadn't signed it. I used to crochet doilies for people till that became a thing of the past. I had always wanted to crochet a tablecloth, so I started making the motifs, and spent most of my idle time in doctor's offices, hospital waiting rooms, and everywhere else working on these while my husband was undergoing cancer treatment. After he passed away I couldn't look at it for about 2 years. My daughter would ask about the tablecloth and I would just shrug. I finally got back to it and after 9 1/2 years I finished it. A lot of the motifs were different colors due to various stages of aging, so I tea dyed it, blocked it, and one year just before the family Thanksgiving dinner at my daughters lovely home I put it on her table. I didn't tell her about it. Next thing I know she calls me and asks where she can buy plastic to put over a lace tablecloth someone had placed on her table. She was thrilled with it. Anyhow, I made a large index card with the # of motifs, the date I started it and the date I finished it and some other witty things I thought of. She keeps it in a drawer near the tablecloth. A neighbor girl saw it and decided she wanted to marry my grandson so she could get the tablecloth; he was about 12 at the time.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:54 PM

I quilt by hand and sometimes do not draw the lines around the outline, thus my free hand quilting is not so straight but it lools good when finished. I just tell people I am practicing! Glenn
Old 07-20-2010, 01:56 PM

i'm innocent of all charges, and i have land in mountains in florida for sale LOL!!!!
Old 07-20-2010, 02:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Eddie
Haha....good thing they can't crawl inside my quilts and look at my seams.
I just can't imagine one of your quilts not being pretty, inside and out, Eddie. Your such a kidder :thumbup:
Old 07-20-2010, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S
Originally Posted by ruthieg
I'm no quilt police, but I would encourage all to label each quilt because it is a legacy of our lifetimes. I recommend a photo album of quilts you make over your lifetime with date and significance of the quilt because every quilt has a story, even if it's something as simple as too many points. You will be amazed how easy it is to forget what is or was so important to you.
STOP .... Right there ... Maam. You assume I want to leave a legacy .... I have no such intentions...or desires. My wish that that every quilt I make is consumed in MY lifetime.... leave none for the people who never knew me. Let no quilt be stored on a shelf ... Viewed only when reorganizing or spring cleaning .
One of my quilts have over a thousand hours in the piecing .... and I especially wish that it be consumed by the person whom I lovingly made it for.
MINE TOO! If they have to be legacies, I quit! Love 'em and use 'em up is my goal.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:04 PM

One that I'm guilty of is not really measuring anything. But I just one day decided to start making a quilt, and so I did. It's just all going to be squares so it's not really gonna matter anyways. Even though the squares are going to be differents sizes lol.
And I don't really care how it turns out because it's my first and I knows it's not gonna be perfect. As long as it keeps me warm I'm happy.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by BethD
Being left-handed, for some reason cutting away from me with the rotary cutter doesn't work well...so, I cut toward me very carefully. I know it's wrong, but can't seem to shake this bad habit. Bring on the quilt police!
Long as you keep your belly button covered... all's good !! :lol:
Old 07-20-2010, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by knlsmith
Originally Posted by littlehud
Most of mine don't have labels either. And they would be horrified by my 1/4 inch seams. They are close but far from perfect. My quilting is rustic. (That's a nice way of saying it needs a lot more practice.) But my quilts are loved and used and that is what counts to me.
RUSTIC!

OMG I am ROFL!!! LOL LOL LOL

That's kind of like saying I am not a little heavy, I am RUBINESQUE! Like the ladies you see in the old paintings. LOL

My daughter calls it "Mom Size"
LOL....... niece told me the other day I was soft, sister corrected that it's called fluffy, neice replied that, she was talking about my T shirt !!! :oops:
Old 07-20-2010, 03:18 PM

finally! A quilt police thread I've enjoyed. Good stuff here ;-)