Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jo Anne's closing >

Jo Anne's closing

Jo Anne's closing

Old 09-26-2010, 06:22 PM

If you're talking about the JoAnn's on Fry Road, I can tell you why they're closing: they had a reputation for being rude to their customers. I've had bad experiences there a couple of times, as have a number of my quilting friends here... no more, though. I'll just shop online. If you want to go to JoAnn's on the west side of Houston, try the one on Westheimer just west of Kirkwood. They're always nice there. :)
Old 09-26-2010, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Caroltee
RUMOR…. Some time back I heard that Wal Mart had bought JoAnne’s but would still be known as JoAnne’s Fabric??????????
Whaaaat??? Why would WalMart buy JoAnn's? That IS bad news!
Old 09-26-2010, 06:38 PM

I go to the JoAnns on Hwy 6 - the Sugar Land area of Houston. Last time I was in they said that they were moving to a new location - more north on Hwy 6 - and it would be a bigger store. So maybe that's a Super JoAnnes? I live an hour southwest of Houston. We have a local quilt shop in my little town and a Walmart with a fabric department. In Rosenberg - about 45 minutes away - there's a Hobby Lobby - and then the JoAnnes in Sugar Land about an hour away. I didn't realize how fortunate I was in fabric stores until I started reading on here about people who have to drive an hour to shop!
Old 09-26-2010, 06:56 PM

Bluphrog, what do you use black batting for? Is it better than beige or white batting in a quilt?
Old 09-26-2010, 07:33 PM

I was in the Joann's in Sugar Land today...I wish I had known I would have asked them where they were going to be located. North on 6 would be closer to me!!! :)
Old 09-26-2010, 07:44 PM

Further north on Hwy 6 would be more convenient to me, too. Isn't there a JoAnn's at Hwy 6 and 529 (way north)?
Old 09-26-2010, 07:47 PM

THis sounded like it was just going to a bit further north - they are a bit south of 59 now and I got them impression they would be just a bit north of 59 after the move.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:56 PM

That figures. There's a nice, relatively new fabric shop in that area - can't remember the name of it, but one of these days I'm going to go over there. Hope JoAnn's doesn't put them out of business!
Old 09-26-2010, 08:10 PM

Do you know if they would still be in Sugar Land? I know one of the women that works at the one in Sugar Land use to work at the one that was located in Mission Bend before they closed it.

I am amazed when I go into quilt stores and Joann's how many people are there shopping. I don't understand why they keep closing them.

I am not trying to be political or bash bigger chain stores, but people use to sew for economics. Now with so much clothing and everything else coming from other countries and being sold here so cheaply we are giving up so much. I have two kids that are grown and married and two in their teens. My older kids use to go to the toy store and it was so much fun because of all the choices. We could spend an afternoon just looking at stuff...my younger ones, the teens have no memory of toy stores like that. We live in the Houston area, so we have more choices just because of living near a big city, but the smaller towns are really hit hard.

I miss toy stores, mom and pop grocery stores and big craft stores that were full of craft items...not furniture, pictures and lamps. When did I get this old?! :)

On a positive note...I can't wait for the Quilt Show in November. I will be fabric shopping!!! :)
Old 09-26-2010, 08:12 PM

If you remember the name...let me know. I will help support it!

Originally Posted by Alondra
That figures. There's a nice, relatively new fabric shop in that area - can't remember the name of it, but one of these days I'm going to go over there. Hope JoAnn's doesn't put them out of business!