Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am going to ask for a deposit on ordered quilts >

I am going to ask for a deposit on ordered quilts

I am going to ask for a deposit on ordered quilts

Old 11-01-2010, 03:48 PM

Any other craftsperson, whether carpenter, photographer, cake decorator, etc., would require some type of deposit, so why shouldn't you?
About 5 years ago, a co-worker asked me to make a quilt and she thought I was trying to scam her on the price I quoted her - $100 for a twin. We found a pattern and fabric on-line and discussed the yardage required. I gave her links to, I think Hancock's of Paducah, for the fabric, batting, and thread, so she could get the prices for herself. She told me the next workday that she had changed her mind.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:00 PM

I agree, it stinks. If you ask for NON-REFUNDABLE deposit, they won't change their minds. And if they do, you have most of your material paid for so you don't mind if it sets for a few months until you can sell it. Always, always, always quoute your price up front and put it in writing.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:13 PM

On my custom rugs I get 50% deposit from those I have done business with in the past. I get it all before I start with those I don't know.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:46 PM

ditto on what plainjane said
Old 11-01-2010, 05:47 PM

Some people don't have a clue.

I think 1/2 of purchase price is reasonable. It would cover your up front costs and they are more likely to pay the balance. I would make it non-refundable too, because you are out the money on fabric etc. This also gives them time to get the rest of the money together.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:51 PM

Same thing happened to a friend of mine. The lady ordered the quilt and acted like she had tons of money then said she would have to start making payments when it was done. My friend has not seen one dollar yet. She agreed on the price too when she ordered it. Maddening!
Old 11-01-2010, 06:24 PM

They probably weren't serious in the first place. They saw it and loved it, "oh yeah I want one" and then forget about it and blow their money elsewhere.
You could have them pay for the fabric. That will commit them.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:58 PM

I agree that you should ask for a $100 non-refundable deposit. And I would also try to sell the quilts you made--so you can try to capture back the $ you have invessted. I would not wait for them to take their time to come up with the money to pay for their quilts they ordered. I used to do altering of Prom dresses and as you can imagine, alot of hours goes into altering a Prom dress!. I did not let the dresses leave the house without payment. And, of course, they needed them for Prom so I always got payment. It was an easier scenario than what you are currently dealing with. Good Luck.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:05 PM

It's customary to do a contract on agreed price w/a 25% desposit. The contract should state a no refund on deposit if customer changes their mind... This way you do not loose money invested on a special order quilt you may not be able to sell to someone else.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:11 PM

I have a long time friend who wanted 3 quilts quilted.I supplied the batting and we agreed on a price.she paid about 25% of it and after 2 months said there was no way she could pay me.She gave me about $20 worth of batting and asked me to call it even.we have been friends for over 30 yrs so I said ok.never again though.always need to charge something up front.By the way I was only getting 5.00 an hr for quilting 3 large quilts.I am venting here,she is still a friend but I feel taken advantage of.I had quilted about 6 quilts for free for her and it was the 1st time she offered to pay and didn't.