Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: deposit to service a machine??

So I took my Janome 6600 and an older Kenmore to my dealer for service..... I almost had to laugh, they asked for $25.00 Deposit on the work. Really? I leave over $1500.00 worth of machines there and have to pay 25 bucks???? Do they think I won't pick them up??
    I'm more amused than anything, BUT is this normal to do for a shop?

I take my machines to 2 different places for servicing. One requires a deposit, the other doesn't. Don't know the rhyme or reason either way but yes, I think it's normal for a shop to ask for a deposit.

not where I have mine serviced...I go to a Singer/Viking dealer and a bernina dealer...

Blog Entries
    I go to the bernina dealer and no deposit I would be insulted if someone asked me to leave a deposit and would take my business elsewhere

Blog Entries
    That is just funny...

some do , some don't depends on the shop, what difference does it make in the long run, it will go to the cost of servicing your machine so you are not losing money

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl
    some do , some don't depends on the shop, what difference does it make in the long run, it will go to the cost of servicing your machine so you are not losing money
    Agreed. One shop I like asks for a deposit and the other doesn't. No skin off my nose, it's their business and they have their reasons.

They aren't trying to cheat us, Sandra.

Our Bernina shop doesn't ask for a deposit. But, yeah, they have the machine so there's not a risk of me not paying, since I want my baby back!

I'm pretty sure the OP was simply asking a question and not saying there was something wrong with the practice. In fact she said she was amused.

An older shop in my town has started requesting down payments for service. When I asked why, the owner told me that they have benn having lots of issues with people picking up their serviced machines and paying for them! So, he is out $ for the parts, $ for the service and is left storing their machines that he legally can't sell without major headaches. So, the deposit is a way of covering himself. I can understand how this could be a problem in this economy. Not everyone is turning in a machine worth thousands of dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDog
    I'm pretty sure the OP was simply asking a question and not saying there was something wrong with the practice. In fact she said she was amused.
    Edited my post for clarity, thank you :)

no skin off my nose either, pay it now or pay it later.like I said it just seemed funny. They have my machine that I can't wait to get back and they are asking a deposit Like I'm really not bailing my baby out.
    Quote Originally Posted by JulieR
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl
    Agreed. One shop I like asks for a deposit and the other doesn't. No skin off my nose, it's their business and they have their reasons.

They aren't trying to cheat us, Sandra.
    :shock: :shock: :shock: :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :XD: :XD: :XD:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    An older shop in my town has started requesting down payments for service. When I asked why, the owner told me that they have benn having lots of issues with people picking up their serviced machines and paying for them! So, he is out $ for the parts, $ for the service and is left storing their machines that he legally can't sell without major headaches. So, the deposit is a way of covering himself. I can understand how this could be a problem in this economy. Not everyone is turning in a machine worth thousands of dollars.
    DH asks for a deposit for the same reasons. If for any reason the owner does not return he hasn't lost money.

I have never had a shop ask for a deposit. I don't think it would bother me.
    I certainly can see where it might make sense for a small business owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Glassquilt
    DH asks for a deposit for the same reasons. If for any reason the owner does not return he hasn't lost money.
    The claim tag reads "not responsible for goods left for more than 30 days"
    no risk for them anyway, right?
    again, I really don't mind it, just thought it was funny

Quote Originally Posted by IngeMK
    Quote Originally Posted by Glassquilt
    The claim tag reads "not responsible for goods left for more than 30 days"
    no risk for them anyway, right?
    again, I really don't mind it, just thought it was funny
    The gentleman that does my service does not require a deposit. However, it would be in his best interest if he did.
    He has machines that he has serviced that have been sitting there for months and months and months waiting for people to pick up. The longest turnaround time I've had when I take one in is about 4 hours - he calls when they are ready. He used his parts, his time, and is now storing the machines. He shouldn't have to wait for his money until someone decides to pick up their machine.

The two people I use for my vintage singer and my current Husq Viking get 1/2 down...Pay other 1/2 when picked up...that's normal for anything here in NY

I've never heard of such a thing. Why should you have to pay a deposit? They have YOUR machine, naturally you're going to pay for it when you pick it up.

I don't understand thinking that you don't leave a deposit...If we drop off Jewelry to be fixed you have to leave a deposit before they will work on it...and they have your diamonds...It's just normal around here on anything you need fixed...or worked on...

Blog Entries
    This is an excellent answer. We don't take deposits, but I currently have no room to store finished machines, because people have not picked up their machines. If everybody picked up the machines that were finished I could close for a day and go to the beach!

I find it relatively amusing as well. Although here I have not been asked to leave a deposit. I have a regular store I take my machines to, to have them serviced, have used and purchased from them for years. Same with my jewelry, used them forever and they ask no deposits either. Although I would have no issues with giving them one either.

I can see both sides of the problem. My parents ran a small florist business out of our home and my father also had a full time job. Their worst customers were those who came and ordered lots of flowers for a funeral and even had the nerve to ask for rare flowers or extra expensive arrangements and then were late or forever coming up with the money. Under the circumstances my mother hated to hound them for payment but she had four children to feed. The shops I deal with don't require a deposit but I wouldn't mind if they had a sign that said unclamined machines would be sold after a certain period of time. Small business people often walk a thin line between success and failure.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Why would anyone be offended to leave a deposit? , do you not ask for a deposit for a commissioned quilt.. ?!?!?!?! OF COURSE YOU DO .. why? so if the other person changes their mind you still cover your cost..

No different in this case, sure they have YOUR machine, but anything could happen, and the owner of the machine does not return, lost your job- no money to pay for the servicing, God calls.. Cash pays the bills, not your machine sitting in the back collecting dust..

the shop already forked out the pay for the servicing..

I used to do the books for a small engine repair shop(chain saws, weed eaters, etc...), and people would always come in and drop their equipment off, then never come and get it, Sad fact is...with most machines it costs more for parts and labor than to just go get a new machine....I know that is not applicable with the higher end sewing machines, but a shop owner can't charge one person a deposit and not the next...they have to keep their practices even for all.
    And....there are laws that are so prohibitive for a shop owner to get their money...in this state you have to store the item for a full year, and send out at least 3 certified letters asking for payment...and even then you have to go to court to get what is called a "contractor's lein"...to have permission to sell it...that means the shop owner has to take a half day off from the business, to go to court for what would eventually get him very little money anyway...
    I don't blame any small business owner for charging a deposit...if you intend to retrieve your machine, you get it back anyway...

My Pfaff has now been in the shop for over 6 weeks. Thank heavens I got a "back up" machine. The thought of not being able to sew would drive me a little more crazy. The cost to repair the Pfaff came out to be the cost of the "back up". Oh well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast