Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Bernina 820? >
  • Bernina 820?

• Bernina 820?

Old 12-15-2010, 09:45 AM

Yes, Buy the new machine but please, keep your old. You will wonder how you ever got along with just one machine, once you have two to work with. My machines work best for different things--I quilt a lot on one and do most of my piecing and machine applique on the other. It is so handy. Enjoy your blessing and don't let it get lost in the family budget. I know how easy it is for that to happen. Merry Christmas
    Old 12-15-2010, 09:51 AM

I totally agree with all the posters, get the 830. I have 2 Berninas, 1090 and 440QE. They are great machines. Obviously your aunt wanted to give you the money to spend on something you love and she would be delighted you bought a Bernina since she was a sewer too. You would be honoring her memory by buying the machine and you will think of her every time you use it.
    Old 12-15-2010, 10:01 AM

I would buy the 820, which is what you want, and if you can afford to, keep the Janome as a second machine. Several of us have more than one...........
    Old 12-15-2010, 10:29 AM

I would buy it! I want one but they retail up here in Canada for $10,000.
    Old 12-15-2010, 11:51 AM

I would keep the old machine and buy the new one as well! I have a Janome 11000 which I wouldn't part with but, earlier this year, I bought the Janome Horizon which has an 11 inch throat space - and I wouldn't be without that, either!
    Old 12-15-2010, 12:02 PM

I always feel when someone leaves you money it is so that you might remember them....if you get the machine you want you will remember her every time you use it.
    Old 12-15-2010, 01:53 PM

I would sell your Janome on the SewItsForSale Yahoo group. Then buy that Bernina and use the money from the Janome for fabric!
    Old 12-15-2010, 02:24 PM

I think you should sell your Janome and buy the Bernina. You should try selling your Janome I don't think you would get enough out of it on a trade in. (I sold Bernina machines) I always suggested different places to advertise free. There not a lot of dealers that have enough cash flow to give you what is fair for your machine.Truly there's not a better way to use the money evertime you sew you will remember what a nice gift she gave you.
    Good Luck.
    Old 12-15-2010, 02:44 PM

I have a Bernina 640 with BSR, Janome 6600, Janome Quilter's Edition, Janome Jem Gold, and an HQ 16 with the regulated stitch. I wouldn't trade ANY of them!! I really like my Janome 6600 to piece with while I am embroidering with my Bernina. I use the Janome QE in my camper thru the Summer and have the Jem Gold to take to classes or hem pants etc. It is a wonderful, rugged little machine.
    Take that money and do with it what your heart tells you to do. My HQ 16 was close to $8,000 when I got it several years ago. I had the Bernina with the BSR thinking I could quilt my own quilts, no matter what size but even using the Janome 6600 with the larger throat plate to stitch in the ditch was a struggle for me. That is why I got the HQ 16 so I could quilt my own quilts!
    The men don't think twice about buying guns, classic cars, or any other hobbies. Two machines that you really, really want and have the money for is not being selfish in my book! When will you get another opportunity like this????
    Old 12-15-2010, 04:15 PM

I say go for it. I can't remember all of the beautiful things that I have passed up because I felt my money should be spent elsewhere. Go for it, go for it, go for it. The money is a gift and you should have something that you want. I am sure that you can sell your Janome or keep it and have two. Why not?