Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
JAN 15 2011 STARS BOM - DIRECTIONS AND DISCUSSION >

JAN 15 2011 STARS BOM - DIRECTIONS AND DISCUSSION

JAN 15 2011 STARS BOM - DIRECTIONS AND DISCUSSION

Old 01-16-2011, 11:20 AM

This is a good choice. This star quilt is going to be for my youngest daughter for Christmas. She asked for a star sampler quilt. I may make two of them.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:33 AM

Hi Judy I have a dumb question about the BOM, is there going to be different star patterns for each month????? Like I said a dumb question. LOL LOL just wanted to be sure before I joined. I am sort of a newbie, haven't done a BOM yet. Thanks
Old 01-16-2011, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by grannyp70
Hi Judy I have a dumb question about the BOM, is there going to be different star patterns for each month????? Like I said a dumb question. LOL LOL just wanted to be sure before I joined. I am sort of a newbie, haven't done a BOM yet. Thanks
Grannyp70, the only dumb question is the one that is not asked. We're here to answer any questions you might have and hopefully we all learn something as we go along. Yes, there will be a different star every month. I wanted to start with a super easy star so as not to scare off any of our newer quilters. There are 11 more people who have signed up to pick a star for a certain month. Even I don't know all the stars we will be working on. Some will be pieced as this one was, and some will be paperpieced and I suppose it's possible that some will combine the two, but I don't know for sure yet. All I know is I expect it to be loads of fun. And since all the blocks you make are for yourself, hopefully no one feels a lot of pressure to get them done by a certain time or to make sure every point is perfect. The idea is to have fun together and to learn something. Join in the fun.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:29 PM

Thank you so much Judy for your help, I think I might just try and join in on this if for some reason I can't keep up then I suppose I can just work on them at my own pace. So sign me up to. Thanks again.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:25 PM

Question - I have never done a BOM and it does sound like fun. I'm a fairly new quilter and think it would be nice to learn some different blocks. I read thru all the discussion and pictures last night and loved them all. I decided I'd like to get coordinating fabric to use all year for all the different blocks and was trying to decide what colors I'd want. Well, I got the answer - I sat behind a woman this morning in church and she had on a blazer made with 4 colors and I just loved it - decision made. Now my question is - approximately how much of each of 4 fabrics would I buy to feel safe in having enough for 12 blocks.

Thanks for your help. Can't wait to start.

Pat
Old 01-16-2011, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by PghPat
Question - I have never done a BOM and it does sound like fun. I'm a fairly new quilter and think it would be nice to learn some different blocks. I read thru all the discussion and pictures last night and loved them all. I decided I'd like to get coordinating fabric to use all year for all the different blocks and was trying to decide what colors I'd want. Well, I got the answer - I sat behind a woman this morning in church and she had on a blazer made with 4 colors and I just loved it - decision made. Now my question is - approximately how much of each of 4 fabrics would I buy to feel safe in having enough for 12 blocks.

Pat
Pat, it is really hard to determine how much fabric to have on hand for this BOM because we have no idea of what other star blocks will be chosen during the following months. If it helps at all, I figure the block we just did took approximately 1 5" strip across the width of the fabric for the background and 1 15" x 5" piece for the star, which is less than 1/2 width of fabric x 5". Of course, we don't know if future stars will have more background or less, and some may have 3 or 4 colors in the stars so each one would take a minimum amount of fabric. It's just hard to say. If I had to buy background fabric, I would probably err on the side of having too much and figure 1/4 yard for each star, knowing that would probably be too much. I would then maybe buy fat quarters to make the stars with.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Anybody else have any ideas to help Pat out???
Old 01-16-2011, 08:49 PM

Hi PghPat
Your quilt will probably always be known as your "blazer" quilt. I have done a similar thing by taking a combination of colors from a painting I liked. I figure that others are more experienced at choosing colors and I will take advantage of their eye.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by JudyG
Originally Posted by PghPat

Pat
Pat, it is really hard to determine how much fabric to have on hand for this BOM because we have no idea of what other star blocks will be chosen during the following months. If it helps at all, I figure the block we just did took approximately 1 5" strip across the width of the fabric for the background and 1 15" x 5" piece for the star, which is less than 1/2 width of fabric x 5". Of course, we don't know if future stars will have more background or less, and some may have 3 or 4 colors in the stars so each one would take a minimum amount of fabric. It's just hard to say. If I had to buy background fabric, I would probably err on the side of having too much and figure 1/4 yard for each star, knowing that would probably be too much. I would then maybe buy fat quarters to make the stars with.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Anybody else have any ideas to help Pat out???

I used 2 FQs and made 2 stars from them with leftovers
Old 01-17-2011, 08:55 AM

[quote=PghPat]Question - I have never done a BOM and it does sound like fun. I'm a fairly new quilter and think it would be nice to learn some different blocks. I read thru all the discussion and pictures last night and loved them all. I decided I'd like to get coordinating fabric to use all year for all the different blocks and was trying to decide what colors I'd want. Well, I got the answer - I sat behind a woman this morning in church and she had on a blazer made with 4 colors and I just loved it - decision made. Now my question is - approximately how much of each of 4 fabrics would I buy to feel safe in having enough for 12 blocks.

Decide how many blocks you are going to do, just the twelve or are you going to add more blocks to make the quilt bigger.
Then realistically figure out how much you will use for each block. You don't have to know the exact block names to figure this out, I would think most will use about the same amount of each fabric, give or take a bit. Then buy your fabric being generous with amounts purchased. The leftovers when the quilt is finished will be part of your growing stash. That's what I do anyway. Hope this helps.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:50 PM

Question: Where do I find 4 7/8" on my ruler? I've never done an increment like that.

Thanks