Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question - hand quilting large quilts in hoops >

question - hand quilting large quilts in hoops

question - hand quilting large quilts in hoops

Old 01-29-2011, 07:17 AM

I hand quilt all my special quilts. Baby quilts are usually machine quilted or tie tacked as are the charity quilts. I just cannot use all the time it takes for hand quilting on a baby quilt.

Anyway. I have quilted all the way up to a queen on my little lap frame. It's a 12" hoop, but it gives me almost 11" to work with at a time. Since I am a full time mom and I used to work full time, it would take me a considerable amount of time, only stitching in the evenings, to get them quilted. I used both spray and pin basting. I still don't completely trust spray basting to stay put. I spray first, then pin. I've never had a problem with my needles in it. Start in the center and work your way out.

I must say that when you are quilting that big of a project in your lap, you want to have the bulk or weight of the quilt anywhere but on the frame. It could damage the frame (don't ask me how I know). I quilted my dh's quilt right in front of him. He didn't know it was for him until he opened it. Anyway, I mark as I go. I painstakenly marked a huge quilt with a pretty purple pen once. By the time I was done, have the markings were already gone. I had no idea disappearing ink even existed! I started using a chalk pencil on my last project and loved it. I've now graduated to those resin mechanical pencils. Marking is a dream!
Old 01-29-2011, 07:37 AM

I have several large hoops that I enjoy using. As Don-isewman also mentioned I find the large oval is a bit awkward to work with, especially for heavier projects.

I thought it would make quilting larger areas easier, since I do not like repositioning the quilt in the hoop but found that the circles give me plenty of area to keep me busy a while and they are considerably easier to hold with one hand and are much easier to rotate for those of us who only quilt in one direction. I do not like the stands---at all.

But that is personal preference because it is how I learned. Other quilters in the family LOVE frames and can't imagine ever using a hoop. I love the portability of the hoop, it works for me. I own a frame and have never put a quilt on it.

Do what works for you and enjoy the process.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:37 AM

Wow, very pretty. Good job. Violet
Old 01-29-2011, 01:07 PM

Do you hand piece your quilts or are they pieced on machine? If they are machine pieced does that make a difference in hand quilting?
Old 01-29-2011, 10:41 PM
Power Poster

Yes you can. Hoops come in diffrent sizes too. Find what is comfortable for you and have fun.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by alderdweller
I am wondering, is it possible to quilt large (queen size) quilts in a lap hoop?
I have never hand quilted, but am thinking I would love to try this to give me something to do while *watching* tv with hubby. I feel badly about spending ALL my time with my machines, but usually when I'm doing the tv time, my mind is often quilting :P
Do any of you hand-quilters do it this way?
I even have my hoop on a stand which is great. :)
Old 01-30-2011, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by Darlaine
If they are machine pieced does that make a difference in hand quilting?
For me yes. A machine made seam seems stronger to me because it is two-threaded. It is easier for me to quilt through a hand made seam - but that is just my personal opinion.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:12 AM

No hoop for me either. I thread baste. Just be careful not to pull your stitches too tight. I've done a lot of quilting in the car but you have to dodge the bumps.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:10 AM

Since I dont have a frame, I use my dining room table and fabric clips to keep my quilt nice and tidy and off the floor. I roll as I quilt and for me, I start in the far right corner and work my way back and forth or depending on the block pattern one block at a time. Ive done this with queen size quilt and twin size quilt.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:11 AM

i do baste my quilt good though before I start.