Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat)  Everyone is Welcome! >

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Old 09-11-2011, 02:24 PM
Izy

Thank you Janis! I will continue reading through all the pages tomorrow, it's getting late here and we are being battered by the remainer of Hurricane Katya so don't expect to get much sleep tonight :shock:
Old 09-11-2011, 02:40 PM

I just bought a FW on ebay a few days ago. Hasn't arrived yet. I know I paid top dollar for her but she looks to be all cleaned up and ready to sew. Includes original manual, useable case and many attachments. Plus my two biggest selling points...we have the same birth year, 1948, and she has a scroll plate. I bought a 99 a couple of months ago in pretty good shape but needed cleaning, etc. and then I realized that I'm not one who enjoys the cleaning, tinkering process! Hoping to use the FW in our RV. The 99 is way too heavy for that. Can't wait til she gets here!
Old 09-11-2011, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Izy
My FW was born in 1958, black version. The box is very musty, which seems to be a problem with a lot of them. Only other thing I have a problem with is the bobbin winder doesn't want to spin/load the bobbin, any ideas anyone?

Cheers Izy :-D
Have you put a drop of oil in the little hole on the top of the bobbin winder?
Old 09-11-2011, 09:43 PM

suern3, I just know that you will love your featherweight. As for paying more, sometimes it means you get what you pay for, and getting the original things with it will warrant a higher price. The main thing is that it's what you wanted and you are comfortable with what you paid for it. With that said, you will find that it is a lot lighter than the 99, but I plan to use the 99 for my 'at home' machine, and the FW can travel with me some. I got a rolling tote for her at Michaels in the yarn department. It is just the right size to hold her and has a bunch of pockets too. I'd use it to travel and leave the case at home. It alone is a 'collector's item.' And the rolling tote is so easy to lift and move. I was amazed at how much the FW was than my newer machines that have all of the plastic. And you've got to admit it, it's a lot more fun! The attachments for each will fit both as they are both low shank, but they do have different bobbins.
My 1928 99 is in the greatest shape. The bentwood case has a few minor scratches on it, but the machine looks like it was never used. All of the decal work is there, and not worn.
My 1939 FW has a couple of places where the black isn't as dark as others, and in one place the decals are a bit lighter, but then too, that machine is 72 years old!!! Why shouldn't it show a little bit of wear??!!? I'd love to get a 1945 Featherweight, my birth year.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:02 AM
Izy

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by Izy
My FW was born in 1958, black version. The box is very musty, which seems to be a problem with a lot of them. Only other thing I have a problem with is the bobbin winder doesn't want to spin/load the bobbin, any ideas anyone?

Cheers Izy :-D
Have you put a drop of oil in the little hole on the top of the bobbin winder?
Haven't touched her yet I am too scared!! I didn't get the manual so didn't want to stick anything in any orifice until I was sure she had had it done before :lol: :D :roll:

Thanks for the help! :thumbup:
Old 09-12-2011, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Janis
If the machine really needs to be painted to be usable, that is one thing. I guess my thought is to take a good machine and repaint it just to have one in another color is not in the best interest. Repairing and restoring is a different story all together. I'm glad that you can help others make their machines and furniture usable.
In a like story, I try to grow orchids, and just hate to see the ones in the stores that have had dye put in the pots and absorbed all through the plant just to make the blossoms BLUE!! I complain when I see them!
I wouldn't recommend touching up a machine that has a few scratches on it, either, or repainting one to have a novel color either. On the other hand, the machine I got was mechanically in good shape, but the corrosion was extensive. I think it was probably stored in somebody's basement, and that can be bad news for any metal object unless a dehumidifier is used regularly. I use 2 of them in my basement. Just a thought.
John
Old 09-12-2011, 06:12 AM

John, Ithink I can see that we are in agreement on what to do with the old machines. If they really need the restoring to the tune of repainting, then do it. Otherwise just touch up what needs to be and enjoy using it. Some wear and tare is expected in the older machines. Is this what you are saying?
I saw an old 1910 28, I believe that needs new wireing as it's wires are really brittle. That is necessary, but someone in the past painted the bentwood case with that 'antiquing green' that was so popular in the past. Now I can't figure why they did that, except for the fact that it was popular to do. I'd like to 'rescue' the machine, but the price of $75.00 sounds like a bit much. What do you think?
Old 09-12-2011, 04:08 PM

Well a promise made is a debt unpaid, so here are my FW's
Just my personal ones not the ones for my 3 Great nieces, or my Granddaughter. I also have a 1934 who is in real bad shape as far as her paint job, I want to redo her.
I have a beautiful singer 15- 1950 model with the centennial badge on her. I have a 1950 FW with the centennial badge also, and I have a 1911 singer treadle
head in beautiful shape, just need to find her a cabinet,
Love them all but My 55 221 FW and my 57 222 FW's are my favorites.

My mint green one everyone calls a white. 1964 her name is Irish
[ATTACH=CONFIG]255697[/ATTACH]

My 1957 222 her name is Sweetie
[ATTACH=CONFIG]255698[/ATTACH]

My birthyear,1955 221 her name is SuzieQ
[ATTACH=CONFIG]255699[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-255691.jpe   attachment-255692.jpe   attachment-255693.jpe  
Old 09-12-2011, 04:11 PM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

I just bought a 1947 221 on ebay, and immediately took her in for a "spa" treatment.s I picked her up today, and she's running like a top! Can't wait to get to know her. "Bitsy" is in my avatar, with her Big Sis "Betsy".
Old 09-12-2011, 06:43 PM

valleyquiltermo Your Featherweights are beautiful!! I'm so envious of you. Thank you so very much for showing them to us. But then too, I'm happy that I have one. More in the future???? Maybe, but I think I'd have to really sell my hubby on getting another one.... Someday.....