Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat)  Everyone is Welcome! >

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Old 09-15-2011, 08:59 AM
Izy

Originally Posted by Janis
Izy, I thik you can go to Singer and down load a free copy of the manual. Here's the site for you.

http://www.singerco.com/accessories/...manuals/search

You just need to click on the free download place for the manual.
You have a beautiful machine there and I'm sure you will enjoy using it.
Oh thank you Janis!! That is very kind of you, I will do this straight away. I actually have a traditional sewing machine engineer due to visit in the next hour to check Trixie over, I have had a little sew on her and she sounds a little...clackety clackety clackety...now I don't know if that is the normal sound, as I am only used to my very quiet Janome, but I am sure there isn't much wrong with her other than a little tension issue fingers crossed

:D
Old 09-15-2011, 10:18 AM

They do have a very distinct sound when sewing. Sometimes, all they need is oil and lubricant and they will tone down.

Hope Trixie is all lubed and ready to sew soon.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:26 AM
Izy

Originally Posted by redpurselady
They do have a very distinct sound when sewing. Sometimes, all they need is oil and lubricant and they will tone down.

Hope Trixie is all lubed and ready to sew soon.
Well the engineer came and was flabbergasted to see how well she looked! He was stroking her and oohhh and aaaahhing...then he turned the wheel and told me she is siezed up! Not been used for years, so he has taken her away for a well deserved strip down, now I know this is going to cost me, but just think how well she will run for me afterwards, I should have her back by Monday latest...can't wait! Oh he has a few little extras like a cloth guide he says I can have woo hoo...mind you, I think I will end up paying as much to have her stripped down and made good as I actually paid for her but she will be tip top!

Oh and he couldn't believe how much I paid for her as one of his customers has just paid out £600 for one, unbelievable!!!!

Hilary faired much better with her little Graciebelle today, but I will let her tell you all about that if she hasn't already

:thumbup:
Old 09-15-2011, 10:53 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

My new FW, Bitsy, came back from the shop this week from her "spa" treatment,and she smells just as bad as she did when she went in. I tried to wind some bobbins, but the smell is really gagging me. Someone told me the felt pad needed changing, that would rid her of the smell. Is this what y'all are talking about? If it is, the repairman didn't change it. He also didn't clean out all the old gunky oil, it's almost as thick as taffy.

So, my question is, where do I get the new felt pad? and what can I use to clean out the old smelly gunky oil? There's not a lot, something on a Q-tip will do the job.

Thanks, bunches!!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-257023.jpe  
Old 09-15-2011, 11:00 AM

Definitely changing the drip pad will help with the very distinct fragrance. I got mine here:

http://www.221parts.com/drip.htm

Don't know about removing the old grease though.

To me a spa would be totally stripping down the machine for a soak and cleaning. I doubt your mechanic did that if the pad wasn't even changed. I bet all he did was lubricate and oil the machine and probably make sure she is tuned up.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:06 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

Originally Posted by redpurselady
Definitely changing the drip pad will help with the very distinct fragrance. I got mine here:

http://www.221parts.com/drip.htm

Don't know about removing the old grease though.

To me a spa would be totally stripping down the machine for a soak and cleaning. I doubt your mechanic did that if the pad wasn't even changed. I bet all he did was lubricate and oil the machine and probably make sure she is tuned up.
Yep, I think that's what he did. That's OK, she's running great. I'll order a new oil pad now. Thanks!!
Old 09-15-2011, 02:40 PM

She is gorgeous - got to love how easy these are to maintain an repair - the bobbin case should be easy as pie little oil and shell be humming away! :-) :-)

Originally Posted by CoventryUK
Just doing the Happy Dance!! Mine has just arrived!! She looks good so far, just needs a little TLC!! Doesn't look as tho she has had a lot of use, the decals/paintwork are immaculate!! She needs 'new shoes' and will get the electrics checked out! The case is in good condition and doesn't appear to have that 'musty' smell some of you have issues with!!! I am going to call her Graciebelle (Gracie after grandma who taught me to sew as a 6yr old) and 'belle' after my special fiend Izy (Issabelle!) who found her on e-bay!!!! Here's a few photos! This is just how she arrived!!
Old 09-15-2011, 02:58 PM

Ok so I spoke to soon - shes a bute but that oil problem wow - my mechanic chnged everything for me when we did the maintenace - he sells them and repairs them and goes to the quilt shows around here - he did it while I waited (I actully left her with him for about 45 min and wnet around the show) Sorry to hear your mechanic didnt change that part... at least its pretty enexpensive... and easy to get

Originally Posted by Digitizingqueen
She is gorgeous - got to love how easy these are to maintain an repair - the bobbin case should be easy as pie little oil and shell be humming away! :-) :-)

Originally Posted by CoventryUK
Just doing the Happy Dance!! Mine has just arrived!! She looks good so far, just needs a little TLC!! Doesn't look as tho she has had a lot of use, the decals/paintwork are immaculate!! She needs 'new shoes' and will get the electrics checked out! The case is in good condition and doesn't appear to have that 'musty' smell some of you have issues with!!! I am going to call her Graciebelle (Gracie after grandma who taught me to sew as a 6yr old) and 'belle' after my special fiend Izy (Issabelle!) who found her on e-bay!!!! Here's a few photos! This is just how she arrived!!
Old 09-15-2011, 03:07 PM

Since I am a new quilter I have just been hearing about the Singer Featherweight machine. I have and love my Singer Stylist 533 which is 30 years old,but the Featherweight sounds like a very interesting machine. I wonder if I could get one born in 1949 since I am a 49er.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by MaryAnnMc
My new FW, Bitsy, came back from the shop this week from her "spa" treatment,and she smells just as bad as she did when she went in. I tried to wind some bobbins, but the smell is really gagging me. Someone told me the felt pad needed changing, that would rid her of the smell. Is this what y'all are talking about? If it is, the repairman didn't change it. He also didn't clean out all the old gunky oil, it's almost as thick as taffy.

So, my question is, where do I get the new felt pad? and what can I use to clean out the old smelly gunky oil? There's not a lot, something on a Q-tip will do the job.

Thanks, bunches!!
Clear kerosene, will take off the gunky oil.
I usually put a drop of kerosene
into each oil hole on the machine (NOT THE MOTOR)
Lift the presser foot and run the machine for a few mins and then oil her good. It cleans out all the built up gunky
oil and kerosene has a lubricant in it so it won't hurt the machine while your cleaning it. Just don't run it to long before you reoil her.