Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilts and Newborns - a No-No? >
  • Quilts and Newborns - a No-No?

• Quilts and Newborns - a No-No?

Old 04-25-2011, 09:54 AM

Part of the confusion is because a lot of suffocation deaths were once blamed on SIDS. Now we know that some babies suffocate, and they weren't true "SIDS" deaths, although they were considered to be so at the time. Also, some SIDS deaths are at least in part caused by overheating, and using blankets on a baby can contribute to that.

Originally Posted by quiltmaker
    This is the SIDS network site:

http://sids-network.org/facts.htm

It states SIDS is NOT caused by suffocation!

You can google SIDS and see the government sites as well and many others. No one truly knows why this happens. It is something within the baby that causes this....there are a lot of speculations but no true answers. As stated a Mother could do everything by the book her physican tells her to do and her baby could still die of SIDS. Whether it be 60 years ago or today. No one would do anything intentionally to hurt her baby...but the scare tactics, and just outright speculations do nothing to help first time mothers and their apprehensions. Of course we all want every baby to survive but they all won't for whatever reason. I'm just sick to death of all the hype without even Doctors knowing what condition in the baby causes them to die from SIDS. That is what it is....a condition within the baby. Not some external force at play.

Mothers can and should do everything possible to protect their babies but common sense is still the most important factor in raising a child. Unfortunately not everyone has much common sense so the government has created all sorts of rules and guidelines and Doctors have to protect themselves from being sued. I am just so glad I lived in the time where Mother's were respected and knew the best for their child and if they were concerned about something they talked with their Doctor and nothing was shoved down their throats by people who pretend to know better.

ptquilts, don't hold your breath, I doubt there will even be social security from your grandchildren if they are very young. If things keep going like they are they won't have any money and will be living off the government themselves. I'm not inferring you will be because we all put our money in the pot for our government to waste as they saw fit....another group who pretends to know what is best.
    Old 04-25-2011, 10:17 AM

Frankly, any advice that could possibly keep my baby girl safe and happy during a time that I cannot be awake and touching her, is advice that I will take. There's alot that has changed even since I was a child, but how are advancements in child sleep safety any less legitimate than advancements in vehicle safety, drug safety or whatever! I get frustrated when mothers of adult or older children pooh-pooh the advice given today just because thier child "survived." Anything that could possibly keep a child safe is ok with me. I would rather be over cautious than have something happen to the most perfect little person on the planet. At least if anything does happen, I know I did everything in my power to prevent it. The term "SIDS" is used generically for infant deaths too much. True SIDS is not necessarily suffocation, but most times when an infant passes away, they just say SIDS because it is easier to label than to investigate and find the true cause. I figure I am going to worry about my children til the day I leave this earth, so what if I lose a little more when they are infants. It comes with motherhood.
    Please try not to come down on new parents for listening to the new guidelines for children. It's our turn and we are doing our best...just like you did when your precious children were infants. How can you expect any less.
    And I can't even tell you how much respect I have for grandparents who adhere to the guidelines for the new parents sake, even though they might not necessarily agree. My MIL refuses to listen because she has the "mine survived it" mentality. Kudos to all you ladies who are willing to change with the times!!
    Please forgive me for the long-winded ramble, but this is something I feel VERY strongly about. My greatest fear is something happening to my Baby. She's two now (and we STILL won't put her to bed with a blanket because she puts it over her head.) We are expecting another baby girl in July and my fears are just as strong.

Incedentally, you could probably google sleep sack patterns and get some free ones! And don't hesitate to make that quilt...they will be treasured even if they don't sleep with them!! :)
    Old 04-25-2011, 10:19 AM

I think this one is adorable. they have been used in Germany forever.
    they have quilted ones for the winter
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-188928.jpe  
    Old 04-25-2011, 10:23 AM

I've made them quilts more for wall hangings and also always make grand children a brightly colored one to lay on the floor which they use forever it seems. I've always been afraid of the bumpers on cribs for that reason (sufocating) too, but many live through it also.
    Old 04-25-2011, 10:31 AM

I'm so sick and tired of the things that are supposed to save our kids these days! My kids slept with all the "stuff" in their beds, slept on their tummies, and crawled on dirty floors! My kids have been so extremely healthy that the Dr would wonder why I was there! I have a brother and a nephew who both died from SIDS and there was no correlation to all the stuff in their bed, etc. It just happens! My grandsons who are being raised in a fairly sterile environment all have allergies and are sick frequently. I will continue to make baby quilts. The sleeping sack didn't work!
    Old 04-25-2011, 10:36 AM

I respect the wishes of my GC's parents. Some i agree with, some not.either way i keep my opinions to myself and follow their rules.
    Fortunately (IMO) they all have enough sense to weed out the scare tactics and make their own educated decisions concerning their babies.
    Old 04-25-2011, 10:38 AM

As i have said before, give the quilt and let the parents decide it's use.
    Old 04-25-2011, 10:43 AM

Maybe my gift quilts should be stroller sized?
    Old 04-25-2011, 10:44 AM

Right now I am using my boy's quilts for his stroller or to lie on during playtime on the floor. I use bunting bags for my boy and have used them since he was 4 months old. In fact the two I have are too small and I am in the process of making two bigger ones for my almost 1 year old son (he turns 1 this friday). I machine embroidered a couple cute designs on them. I just need to sew the pieces together.

I too feel more comfortable using the bunting bags over the quilts right now. Saying that though I do use a small little blanket during his morning nap. He doesn't move around so much during his nap time. But during the night, he is all over the quilt. With the bunting bags I know he is not getting caught up in blankets or quilts and he is still quite snug as a bug in his bunting bags.

I too will be still making baby quilts.

Cheers
    Andrea
    Old 04-25-2011, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by bakermom
    As i have said before, give the quilt and let the parents decide it's use.
    I agree!