Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making Up Quilt Kits >

Making Up Quilt Kits

Making Up Quilt Kits

Old 06-24-2011, 08:12 PM

I did it for a church quilt project and it worked well for the quilters who were not very experienced. It saved a lot of time when we were together as I was then able to sit with them and teach them how to piece rather than waste time helping everyone cutting pieces, avoiding bias grain etc.
Actually I handed each quilter a plastic bag with a piece of cardboard the same size as the finished block to store the finished block neatly and keep it from getting wrinkled, the cut pieces, seams marked on them, diagrams and instructions, bobbins with the right amounts of thread, needles, pins, a cheap little thimble and pair of folding scissors and my phone number in case of emergency! and there were a few. It was a fun project tho, and just about finished. Will photo and post the finished quilt - a Canadian condolence project for the families of soldiers lost in Afghanistan.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:59 PM

I do this all the time. I use Art Bin containers. They are a little pricier than some, but with a coupon, not too bad. They are nice containers.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:11 PM

I think its a great idea!!! Sometimes if you put off cutting fabrics you find you are short on fabric - if anyone is like me there will be some mistakes lol. This way you can be sure the fabric is still available!!! As someone else suggested - be sure to include enough fabric for binding for sure!!!
Old 06-24-2011, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Maurene
I did it for a church quilt project and it worked well for the quilters who were not very experienced. It saved a lot of time when we were together as I was then able to sit with them and teach them how to piece rather than waste time helping everyone cutting pieces, avoiding bias grain etc.
Actually I handed each quilter a plastic bag with a piece of cardboard the same size as the finished block to store the finished block neatly and keep it from getting wrinkled, the cut pieces, seams marked on them, diagrams and instructions, bobbins with the right amounts of thread, needles, pins, a cheap little thimble and pair of folding scissors and my phone number in case of emergency! and there were a few. It was a fun project tho, and just about finished. Will photo and post the finished quilt - a Canadian condolence project for the families of soldiers lost in Afghanistan.
Wish I lived near you - what a great way to help others get started. Accurate cutting is the first step that I havent mastered quite yet - I have bought a GO so hopefully this will help lol
Old 06-25-2011, 04:36 AM

I do this every year before I go to quilt retreat. There are only two cutting tables for 17 people, so if I cut, I only want to cut small pieces at my sewing area. It's a great way to be prepared to power sew.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by stitchengramie
Hi Everyone,

I have several quilts that I need to get done by Christmas. I was wondering if I could just cut my fabric for each quilt, label the pieces and put all the piece for each individual quilt, and the pattern in a two gallon zip lock bag. Then put who the quilt is for on front of the zip lock. This way I have all my cutting out of the way, and then all I have to do is take each kit and sew the pieces together.

Has anyone done this before.

Thanks,
Mary (stitchengramie)
I often do this because cutting is my most time consuming task. Also, this way I am consistent on my cutting for each quilt. I love the creative process of designing & sewing, & quilting, but not so much the cutting & definitely not the binding.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:22 AM
Banned

this is the ONLY way I get anything done...I have taught others this method for years.

buy fabric/shop stash...wash, hang out, iron as I am ready to cut it.

I cut the quilt out, label each piece, place in a tub with pattern, thread, binding and extra fabric at the bottom!
Then when I have time to sew, I just pick it up and go...

Of course I now have 38 quilts in tubs ready to be sewn...
Old 06-25-2011, 06:32 AM

That is how I do it but make sure to keep a copy of the pattern with it. I did a large number of kits last summer when I was able to cut but not sew. However when I got to the sewing part, more than once, I forgot what I had cut for what pattern. I also would be careful about cutting up too much at one time. The fear being that when it does come time to sewing it, you may have lost interest. That being said it was wonderful to just be able to sit down and sew!
Old 06-25-2011, 07:15 AM

It sounds like organization to me. I do this and I also put the left over fabric with it until my quilt is finished. It saves me hunting for the left over fabric in case I missed something or do something "stupid".
Old 06-25-2011, 07:15 AM

It sounds like organization to me. I do this and I also put the left over fabric with it until my quilt is finished. It saves me hunting for the left over fabric in case I missed something or do something "stupid".