Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making Up Quilt Kits >

Making Up Quilt Kits

Making Up Quilt Kits

Old 06-24-2011, 07:43 AM

Just don't forget to include leftover fabric! There are times that we forget to cut a piece, or cut it wrong and need more fabric. It would be a disaster if you have used the leftovers in another project!
Old 06-24-2011, 08:00 AM

I have some done that way, pieces cut, scraps in ziplock baggie, thread, pattern, & backing. Everything ready to sew when I get ready to do the project. I put mine in small clear plastic tubs that can be stacked together. I usually put 2 copies of the pattern, one to mark on and the other to keep. If I want the back to match a fabric from the front, I always buy the backing at the time of the quilt fabric purchase. Sometimes if you wait too long, the shops sell out of that collection and you can't find the fabric anymore. If I change my mind, I can always use it for another quilt.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:03 AM

The shop where I go most of the time has a great deal. If you buy a kit and purchase the backing fabric at the same time she will give you 20% off. A friend of mine always uses muslin and I know years ago muslin was used must of the time but now that the quilts are so much more artistic and intricite, the most popular is backing of the same quality. I always but at least 1/2 yard more to allow for cutting errors and possibly a pillow.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:13 AM

I do this when I get the urge to cut a lot. I have been thinking about doing some for my mom as she has a bad right arm from an auto accident. I definitely love to have it precut for quilt retreats.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:57 AM

I love the idea of using the scrapbooking cart/organizer! Thanks!!
Old 06-24-2011, 10:15 AM

I do this all the time! I can just grab a kit and start sewing. Sometimes my wrists bother me too much to cut but I still want to work on something.....so, problem solved. Then there are times that I just feel like cutting. I love the cutting process. I've got a large rubbermaid container filled with kits I cut out myself.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:09 AM

I have done that and I also use the artbin satchels to group them.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:40 AM

This is the way I was taught to quilt by my wife and always use this method. It allows you to cut or sew whenever the mood strikes. I learned the hard way to keep detailed notes and all fabric needed in the kit.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:53 AM

Yes, I've done it. I prefer the 2 gallon bags for this. Or maybe they are 2.5 gallon ones.

Yes...yes, yes. Do it. I do not particularly enjoy the cutting process, so this helps me a lot.

Of course, for people who think that this makes it a UFO and thus feel guilty for having unfinished projects, this is not a good idea.

For the rest of us, however, it is a great one.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:08 PM

I've never done it, but Why Not? If it organizes you, go for it.