Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making Up Quilt Kits >

Making Up Quilt Kits

Making Up Quilt Kits

Old 06-24-2011, 06:01 AM

I have a lap size rail fence pattern that I make often. I have several kits made up and bagged. The strips are all cut and ready to go! All the decisions are made in advance - so there's no time lost. When I have a little time, I just sit and sew! Assembly line piecing......quilt top's done in no time!
Old 06-24-2011, 06:20 AM

When I buy specific fabric I have in mind for a pattern, I bundle it in small squares together with everything that goes with it. Sometimes I have to go through my folded stash (way more than I should have) and add to the bundles. The pattern or book with pattern is nestled neatly next to or underneath the fabric bundle. If I find a fabric I must have or have been given or found at yard sale, I go through my organized cabinets and pull out those that go with it. Those bundles go in a separate cabinet. I don't go back over those bundles and pull out any of the fabric for another project. Taking out of my stash I know what I have and don't when looking for fabric for the next project in mind. I can't/don't ear-mark a fabric twice as I never know how much will be left over when a project is done. This works slick and is always organized. I use workbooks and a binder to record everything. I started this early on in quilting, and I think if I stopped doing this, I would have my own little chaos issues. When someone I will make a quilt for asks for something, I show them the bundles and patterns already decided. If they don't choose one of those, they can 'shop' my stash. Works for me, may not work for everyone.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:23 AM

Sounds like a good way to organize. I have been fighting this decision for 3 years. My quilting area is in caos and I am very embarrased by it. I just have to get a handle on things and get started. That is my biggest problem. I just don't know where or how to start. Any clever ideas on how to at least start sorting. Thanks
Old 06-24-2011, 06:24 AM

Yes, our quilt group at church makes Linus quilts all year. We set up cutting days each month to match fabric, cut and bag everything but the batting. We also use 2 gal zip bags for each quilt. Often we throw in a spool of thread. We rely heavily on donated fabric and notions and have been very fortunate. Doing the kits enables us to check package out to any one wanting to make a quilt, so all they have to do it put it together. We give them the batting seperate due to the bulk. Good luck with your cutting!
Old 06-24-2011, 06:30 AM

Really sounds like a great idea. I like anything that can save me time and have lots of organization.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by stitchengramie
Hi Everyone,

I have several quilts that I need to get done by Christmas. I was wondering if I could just cut my fabric for each quilt, label the pieces and put all the piece for each individual quilt, and the pattern in a two gallon zip lock bag. Then put who the quilt is for on front of the zip lock. This way I have all my cutting out of the way, and then all I have to do is take each kit and sew the pieces together.

Has anyone done this before.

Yes I make up quilt kits all the time, sometime I even add the backing to the kit.
Thanks,
Mary (stitchengramie)
:-D
Old 06-24-2011, 06:36 AM

Mary,
That is what I do all the time. Just make sure you either put a copy of your pattern in with the cut pieces or the book with the kit. You may forget what is what if you go several weeks between working on one of them. Ask me how I know about the pattern? LOL
Old 06-24-2011, 06:41 AM

Yes - I did but keep getting more fab so just tie coordinating fab together, inventory it and place it in one of my bins. Most of my kits have been OBE'd...
Old 06-24-2011, 07:17 AM

I have done it once, but I label each size and put in a small plastic bag. I did this with each of the cuts necessary and then I put all this baggies in a larger plastic bag with the copy of the instructions
Old 06-24-2011, 07:27 AM

I frequently use the zip-loc storage bags for my quilts in progress and/or pieces :thumbup: