Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wallgreen's for quilting supplies...Who knew???? Thimble...Yes or No >

Wallgreen's for quilting supplies...Who knew???? Thimble...Yes or No

Wallgreen's for quilting supplies...Who knew???? Thimble...Yes or No

Old 07-16-2011, 08:45 AM

I use the Roxannes also and love it. My fingers do seem to be different depending on the time of year. In winter they seem smaller so I put on of those adhesive thimble pads inside the Roxanne. It takes up just enough space to make it a good fit again! And seems to eliminate the slip that comes with a loose thimble.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:55 AM

Go back to Walgreens and look for "coban". It is like an ace wrap but it sticks to itself. Cut a 3" piece off, form it around your finger and fold the excess over the target area. Ta-da...custom thimble! Little packs of these cost $6-7 in catalogs. For less than that you can get enough to last you and your friends a lifetime!
Old 07-16-2011, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by ibeesewin
Looked at Hobby & Jo-Ann's for the finger cots that Sharon Schamber uses in her binding video. No luck at either store. Jo-Ann's has them available on line...however, I don't need to order anything else. Called my LQS and they don't have them either. So...stopped at Wallgreen't and purchased the finger cots in the band-aid section. They work perfectly.

Also..is using a thimble kind of like an acquired taste? I have purchased 3 thimbles and end up removing them because I just can't sew with one. One that I purchased today falls off so what use is that? Any suggestion on thimbles...my finger is getting sore and I only have one side of the quilt stitched. I didn't want to machine stitch this one because I wanted to try the ladder stitch.
a friend told me to wet my finger before putting thimble on. Haven'ttried it yet as I hate them. smile others have told me the same lthing.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:01 AM

Have you tried one of the leather thimbles. I found them quite comfortable to wear and the needle didn't penetrate the leather.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:28 AM

also wet the end of thimble finger then put on thimble, to help keep it on.

Originally Posted by emc1118
I read an article in a magazine more years ago than I care to remember about thimbles. It mentioned that to get used to using a thimble, find one that fits comfortably and then wear it while doing other things around the house. The idea was to get used to it and soon you are using the finger it is on to do other things. I use a thimble to even hem a pair of slacks. My sister stopped in one day while I was sewing. I answered the door, chatted for a while and about 1/2 hour later she asked why I was wearing the timble. I totally forgot it was there. As the previous posts mentioned, the type is an acquired use, plus the various types.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:47 AM

I have a plastic or rubber like thimble .. they sell them in most fabric stores.. I love it it does not rub on your finger like the metal ones do.. It has a metal tip and rubber like top..
Old 07-16-2011, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by patchsamkim
The only thimble I can use is a leather one...I especially like the heavier goatskin ones...the lighter weight ones wear through too fast. I have tried many times to use a metal thimble, but I just have never been able to get used to one.
I. too, have bought many different kinds of thimbles but have found that I like the leather ones best. When the leather starts to wear a bit thin in the spot I use the most I will either glue on a small patch of leather on top of the thimble in that spot or wear one of the stick-on leather dots under the thimble on the spot on my finger the needle hits most often.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:25 AM

When you give blood, they put the gauze on with a kind of woven tape that is usually colored. Sorry, don't know the "true" name of it. But I've used it on my finger as a thimble. It's been awhile since I've hand stitched though.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Kristin in ME
I didn't know you could quilt *without* a thimble, lol! Sounds painful...

I always used to use a metal thimble. I dampen my finger and it stays on fine. However, I hadn't quilted

A anything for literally years until last week and, when I used the metal thimble, it was too small! I don't know what happened... I can't imagine my finger grew, lol! Anyway, it was rubbing on my joint because it was too tight so I decided to try a leather one. It took a little getting used to but it seems to be working for me now. The problem now though is that pieces of elastic are coming out of the stretchy part that holds it on my finger, also the leather on the end seems to be wearing through very quickly- at this rate, I doubt it will hold up long enough for me to quilt this whole quilt!

Unrelated maybe- what is a finger cot??
A finger cot is a rubber that that fits on the end of your finger. The one you pull the needle with. It is thinner then a thimble. There are a couple of different kinds.
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...zprd_10959898a

http://www.quiltersrule.com/notions/fc.html

I found the second one's at Wallgreen's in the band-aid section. I don't know about the one from Jo-Ann's but the one that I have are extremely comfortable. Which is what I am hoping to find in my thimble search.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by charity-crafter
I keep losing my thimbles. I take small piece of plastic, like from a milk carton and place it over my pushing finger pad. Then I wrap with it with duct tape or several bandaids. It's not pretty, but it gets the job done and with the duct tape, it doesn't come off unless you want it to....but then you have the adhesive to scrub off you skin.
The magic of duct tape...I really wish I would have invented it. That and velcro...