Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wallgreen's for quilting supplies...Who knew???? Thimble...Yes or No >

Wallgreen's for quilting supplies...Who knew???? Thimble...Yes or No

Wallgreen's for quilting supplies...Who knew???? Thimble...Yes or No

Old 07-26-2011, 07:54 PM

I can't use a thimble to sew. When I quilt, I wrap adhevise(please forgive spelling) tape around my thumb, index and middle(push) finger. It works and when I need to I just replace it.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:40 PM

Maybe I'm dumb...BUT, what is a finger cot ?? I just can't use a thimble either. I have tried just about everyone on the market. I have some little oval stick on vinyl/plastic? things. I also used to wrap my finger with medical tape. Sometimes I just grin and bear it.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by ibeesewin
Looked at Hobby & Jo-Ann's for the finger cots that Sharon Schamber uses in her binding video. No luck at either store. Jo-Ann's has them available on line...however, I don't need to order anything else. Called my LQS and they don't have them either. So...stopped at Wallgreen't and purchased the finger cots in the band-aid section. They work perfectly.

Also..is using a thimble kind of like an acquired taste? I have purchased 3 thimbles and end up removing them because I just can't sew with one. One that I purchased today falls off so what use is that? Any suggestion on thimbles...my finger is getting sore and I only have one side of the quilt stitched. I didn't want to machine stitch this one because I wanted to try the ladder stitch.
Here is an idea if u have not heard of it yet.....buy a rubber finger that fits snug from the office supply store, cut it off at the end and slip the thimble into it and it will not come off your finger, it works great. The rubber fingers come in different sizes so make sure u get one that fits snug........