Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wallgreen's for quilting supplies...Who knew???? Thimble...Yes or No >

Wallgreen's for quilting supplies...Who knew???? Thimble...Yes or No

Wallgreen's for quilting supplies...Who knew???? Thimble...Yes or No

Old 07-17-2011, 03:35 PM

I use a thimble to hand quilt. For applique or binding, I wear a hole in my finger. I tried a thimble and used another finger to push the needle instead. Is something wrong here? LOL
Old 07-17-2011, 05:44 PM

I have been a beader for years and you can buy small round metal discs that have sticky pads which you put on the underside and then you stick it on your finger to use as a thimble. I can't use a thimble as it seems too constricting, but these metal pads work great and last a long time. Just check a bead shop if you can't find it at Michaels or Joanns in the bead section. Works great and you can wear several if you want and you will forget you are wearing them after a few minutes.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by ibeesewin
Looked at Hobby & Jo-Ann's for the finger cots that Sharon Schamber uses in her binding video. No luck at either store. Jo-Ann's has them available on line...however, I don't need to order anything else. Called my LQS and they don't have them either. So...stopped at Wallgreen't and purchased the finger cots in the band-aid section. They work perfectly.

Also..is using a thimble kind of like an acquired taste? I have purchased 3 thimbles and end up removing them because I just can't sew with one. One that I purchased today falls off so what use is that? Any suggestion on thimbles...my finger is getting sore and I only have one side of the quilt stitched. I didn't want to machine stitch this one because I wanted to try the ladder stitch.

I have heard great things about the Roxanne thimbles. They're expensive but are made to fit. I want one and am thinking about making the investment. They tell you how to take the measurement of your finger.
This is the URL and info:
http://www.thatperfectstitch.com/products.html
click on thimbles and scroll to this one.

Thimbles - Roxanne - RX-THIMBLE
Roxanne
Roxanne Thimbles are American made to last a lifetime and are virtually impenetrable by needles. Each thimble is hand die cast using bronze or sterling silver. They are available in sizes 2.5-10 and in four finishes:

Solid Sterling Silver - $110.30
Highly Polished Bronze - $79.00
14k Gold Plated - $48.20
Silver Plated - $48.20

• Roxanne Thimble Sizing Guide
• More Information About the Roxanne Thimble
Old 07-18-2011, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by CathyinOK
Go back to Walgreens and look for "coban". It is like an ace wrap but it sticks to itself. Cut a 3" piece off, form it around your finger and fold the excess over the target area. Ta-da...custom thimble! Little packs of these cost $6-7 in catalogs. For less than that you can get enough to last you and your friends a lifetime!
I happend to have this on hand because my kitty has a sore that I have to wrap. I tried this and it works great!!! :)))
I am also finding out as I go along that using something on the end of your finger is an entirely different sewing process. (for me anyway) Normally I kind of hand sew in broken steps. Needle in...push it through...pull needle out; using a thimble I am able to sew in one fluid movement. If that makes sense.. :?:
Old 07-18-2011, 01:19 PM

I know that this is not going to help you but I just had to comment that I just brought back with me my grandmothers and my mothers sewing boxes and between the two boxes there were 12 thimbles. There was even a thimble that will only fit on my littlest finger now but I remember using that one when I was first starting to sew. I also found the one that my grandmother used the most it has the Prudential Life Insurance ad on it and it is definitely not round and has a dent in the side to flatten it out where the nail would be. This may be why it was her favorite.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Jeandrig
My fingers are too crooked for thimbles, so I use the little stick on pads on my thimble finger. You can remove and use over and over, they're great, I couldn't quilt without them.
I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one who used those. Love 'em. Use 'em all the time.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:33 AM

Looked at Hobby & Jo-Ann's for the finger cots that Sharon Schamber uses in her binding video. No luck at either store. Jo-Ann's has them available on line...however, I don't need to order anything else. Called my LQS and they don't have them either. So...stopped at Wallgreens and purchased the finger cots in the band-aid section. They work perfectly.

Also..is using a thimble kind of like an acquired taste? I have purchased 3 thimbles and end up removing them because I just can't sew with one. One that I purchased today falls off so what use is that? Any suggestion on thimbles...my finger is getting sore and I only have one side of the quilt stitched. I didn't want to machine stitch this one because I wanted to try the ladder stitch.
Why don't you make one out of leather. They work great and will stay on your finger. I make all of mine out of scrap and it cost nothing but the time to make them.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:39 AM

I can't use one either.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:56 AM

The leather ones work est for me.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:23 PM

The only time I use a thimble is when I am working with heavier fabric such as denim. Basically, everyone has different tastes and this may be something you would want to decide for yourself... Good luck
~~~~~~

Looked at Hobby & Jo-Ann's for the finger cots that Sharon Schamber uses in her binding video. No luck at either store. Jo-Ann's has them available on line...however, I don't need to order anything else. Called my LQS and they don't have them either. So...stopped at Wallgreen't and purchased the finger cots in the band-aid section. They work perfectly.