Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Room - What CAN'T you live without? >

Sewing Room - What CAN'T you live without?

Sewing Room - What CAN'T you live without?

Old 07-22-2011, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by miholmes
Good Afternoon,

In September we are beginning our basement remodel. So the entire LARGE room (half of the house) will be broken into a TV / Computer room, and the other half will be my sewing studio.

I'm excited to have a new space that isn't concrete walls and floor. But am just looking for suggestions for things you just feel you HAVE to have to make your sewing space work for you.

The standard machine and notions goes without saying. But what gadgets, storage options, or other suggestions would you have?

My big change will be having a dedicated outlet for my iron...woohoo! But anything else you can suggested while I'm in the planning stages would be helpful. :)
Congrats on the new sewing space.
I think that a few ceiling outlets would come in pretty handy. It always seems like there is one choice area that you have everything that plugs in. It is a mess to move or rearrange because you have to move a table or cabinets to get to an outlet. Plus there is always the mess of cords you have to sift thru to find the right one.
I'm thinking one close to each corner of the room and one or two towards the center so you are free to rearrange easily.
Hope to see pics of the finished room soon.
Good Luck.
Faith :XD:
Old 07-22-2011, 04:34 AM

I have a large cutting table and I keep an old outdated dresser underneath it, LOTS of drawers for storage and its out of the way!
Old 07-22-2011, 04:37 AM

Another storage feature are using shoe storage cubes for your small pieces of fabrics. This way you can see them and they look neat and great eye candy. A friend took an old dining room table and put the leafe in it and figured where she would need to cut it to place her sewing machine in and put brackets in with a metal shelf and the machine sets into the dining table and she has a wonderful area for quilting.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by echobluff
Our sewing group meets/sews together every couple of weeks at one of the gal's home. She is a retired home- ec teacher. She recently moved into her disabled sister's house to take care of her. She added a HUGE sewing room onto the back of the house. She has a sewing station for each of her 7 machines, book/display shelves for quilt books and antique sewing machines, tons of windows for natural light plus French doors leading out to a covered deck, air conditioning in addition to the remote controlled ceiling fans (it gets way hot here in the summer), pot lights installed in the 12 ft. ceiling over each station (with the ability to have individual, plug in lights on the sewing surfaces), an ironing station (not just an ironing board), a cutting station (an 8 ft. table affixed with cutting mats), outlets galore (even in the floor), she is "vertically challenged" (read: short, LOL), so she has a rather large area in the middle of all this as her design floor instead of design wall, and a separate room, not closet, a room, for just her stash and thread. This stash room has to be 25 feet long and it's easily 10 feet deep, with shelves and shelves of fabric set up in the same fashion as a library. She's been collecting since she was a girl...she just turned 76 last month. The only thing that she DOESN'T have, is a longarm. If I could have the perfect sewing room, I'd have that one, with additional space for my LA. We're sewing there again on Saturday, I'll try to remember to take my camera along and get some pics to share.
Oh, please don't forget the camera - this described area sounds super nice to view (not to mention work in).
Old 07-22-2011, 04:43 AM

Something not mentioned above is having the thread rack in easy reach of the sewing machine.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:49 AM

when I was designing my studio, I had the electrician put outlets every 6 feet around the whole room. I can now move my machines anywhere I want or have friends over to sew too and lots of machines can be plugged in.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:54 AM
Power Poster

Peg board wall for storing rulers and templates, pantos etc.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:55 AM

Make sure your flooring choice is comfortable. (for your back, legs, feet)

Yes, you spend a good deal of time sitting at your machine(s) but, you will also spend a lot of time standing at your work/cutting tables.

Ceramic tiles look nice and are easy to clean but are very hard on your back, legs and feet.

Carpeting is nice but LOVES to collect loose threads and over prolonged standing, can become hard on the back as well.

Hardwood flooring is generally easier on the back, legs, feet than the above and might be a wiser choice.

There are also lots of vinyl cushion flooring choices which may be an option, and are easy to maintain.

Whatever flooring choice you make, you can also get fatique mats in various sizes to lay in areas where you do most of your standing.

Word of caution: Because this is a basement location, MAKE SURE, you have sealed the floors and walls to prevent moisture buildup - this can and will lead to mold problems down the road.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:03 AM

lighting, a large cutting table and a design wall are some of the most important things besides fabric and supply storage
Old 07-22-2011, 05:21 AM

Peg board and hooks to hang your notions on for easy access.