Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fat quarters - new size? >

fat quarters - new size?

fat quarters - new size?

Old 07-24-2011, 08:25 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

The problem of the FQs being short on length (less than the full 18") - is that a problem with only the FQs sold at JoAnns? Or are you seeing it in the quilt-shop brands, too?

I don't mean FQs that shops cut themselves, I mean FQs that are cut by the manufacturers (Moda, Benartex, Hoffman, Kaufman...)

We haven't noticed any coming in short, but then we haven't actually checked them. I'm wondering if we should be running spot checks?
Old 07-24-2011, 08:31 AM

This reminds me when they came out with the "fun" size candy bars - my boys remarked that a little bar like that is not fun at all. Then the ice cream containers shrank claiming the new packaging was a "convenience" size. Marketing without really explaining that we were paying the same for less.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:43 AM

Homemother--I know what you are talking about. I have recipes from my mother and grandmother that call for a #2 can or so many ozs but I have to buy at least 2 cans to make the recipe.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:21 AM

Like everything else, less for more. Paper napkins, new car purchases without a spare tire, fabrics that are less than 44" wide, the list is endless.
A crying shame that the consumer bears the brunt of having to pay more for less.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:57 AM

Holy Toledo - and we're complaining here!
Old 07-24-2011, 10:09 AM

I can only buy online.
I bought Nancy's Notions FQ in all size 18"offer packages ranging from $ 1.19 [url] (http://www.nancysnotions.com/product/ultimate+fat+quarter+collection.do?sortby=ourPicks )[url] to $ 1.99 [url] (http://www.nancysnotions.com/product/autumn+fusions+fat+quarter+pack.do?sortby=ourPicks )[url]
The fabrics are beautiful! She has very good discounts on shipping by purchasing more.
Apart from that I get all the materials I need in one place and she puts everything in one shipment.
The last order I made in Hancook's in December last year, I came in four different packages and months, the last in April! Go to search every package to Customs I was immensely expensive and not to mention the waste of time! They have good deals, but shipping is terrible!
Old 07-24-2011, 10:12 AM

Yep, they sure are. Just went to Joann's yesterday and bought 17x21 "fat quarters" for 1.99 a piece :-(
Old 07-24-2011, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by suezq
At least I no wknow that I am not crazy, as I saw the same thing. JoAnn Fabrics is a real rip off some times, unless they are having a great sale, or you manage to accummulate the coupons at 40% off a regular priced item.
WalMart is now bringing back to their stores a very nice line of fabrics, qujilting notions, as well as all of the accessories, and a lot of the fabric I saw was the same as JoAnn's had for several dollars more.
I just returned from a W-M run and since I was there I decided to pick up some flannel - ok, ok, buy it! I was amazed that almost their entire line of flannel is $4.97/yd. Checked out a rotary cutter blade $15.97! Bought the flannel but not the blade!!!!! Their food prices are going way up also.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by GlitzyMe
"New" "Improved" "10% More".....they all put it right in our faces when they give us something but seriously misjudge our intelligence when they take it away. Ice cream companies thought they would 'gift' us with a new design package - tapered at the bottom. Did they think we wouldn't read the 1.5 lt weight instead of 64oz? Our only recourse is not to buy their products and use our keyboards to let them know.
Soapbox stashed.
The "classic" I have is sitting here in my kitchen - the last bottle of Ajax liquid dish soap (64 oz) has in big bold print at the top: "33% MORE vs (in small letters) competitor's 48 oz" - - - - What ??????? It is getting a little weird out there.

Marysewfun
Old 07-24-2011, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Marysewfun
Originally Posted by GlitzyMe
"New" "Improved" "10% More".....they all put it right in our faces when they give us something but seriously misjudge our intelligence when they take it away. Ice cream companies thought they would 'gift' us with a new design package - tapered at the bottom. Did they think we wouldn't read the 1.5 lt weight instead of 64oz? Our only recourse is not to buy their products and use our keyboards to let them know.
Soapbox stashed.
The "classic" I have is sitting here in my kitchen - the last bottle of Ajax liquid dish soap (64 oz) has in big bold print at the top: "33% MORE vs (in small letters) competitor's 48 oz" - - - - What ??????? It is getting a little weird out there.

Marysewfun
They are assuming that no one is going to check, but happen to have a calculator handy - 48 x 33% = 15.84, add 48 to 15.84 and you have 63.84. Supposedly when the stores list a unit price for items, it makes the consumer able to choose wisely! Uh-huh...