Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where do you sew/quilt? >

Where do you sew/quilt?

Where do you sew/quilt?

Old 08-18-2011, 04:59 AM

I am moving from a 1 bdrm apt to a 2 bdrm. 2nd br for office, storage space for sewing.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:01 AM

I'm luckier than most, I have a room in our basement. The room isn't big enough for fabric storage, so I've moved that into the laundry area outside my room. Hubby did a great job in fixing it up for me.

When I'm spray basting, I move to the garage. I don't know what the smell will do to my bird, let alone me.

Before we moved to this house, I sewed on the kitchen table.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:05 AM

I have a spare bedroom. It has a trundle bed in case of company. My DH has his own chair there if he wants to visit while I sew. And he does visit a lot. I hand quilt and I set my frame up in the den so we can visit while I quilt. We don't watch tv much. He reads, I stitch, we talk.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:08 AM

I sew in a small third bedroom that only has my stuff and a rolltop desk that I allow in there. we too are empty nesters and I like to sew in the living room in the evening when we sit down to watch tv, and for those times I have a box top that I take to the room and do hand piecing. works pretty well for us.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:12 AM

In my dining room. I took the table out and put it in the basement since we don't use it that often. I have my cutting area on one side and my sewing area the other. You have to walk through our DR to get to the rest of the house so I had to keep an open walk way. I have a set of cubes (9) from BJ's next to my cutting table and this is where I store some fabric, books/mags and other sewing stuff. It works for us - he has the spare room as his office and we decided this was the right set up for us.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:13 AM

Yet, right??
Originally Posted by quiltymom
The whole house!!! Well NOT the bathroom LOL
Old 08-18-2011, 05:17 AM

Have a whole empty upstairs but sew in my dining room so I can associate with my husband. If i have a project going and someone stops by that's OK
Old 08-18-2011, 05:18 AM

In my Florida room which I have made my sewing room. No heat or A/C in there so in the winter I bring one machine into my office area. A little inconvenient but it works.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:25 AM

I don't have a sewing room, exactly. The room where I stow all my fabric and supplies is also tripling as my husband's home office, and our home school room, at the moment. A little squishy. So I don't really do my work in there, just go get what I need and bring it where I'm working.

My sewing machine is an old singer that is attached to a table that it folds down into. I had it in our room for a while but running up and down the stairs got old. Now it's in the living room until I can find a better place. We now have a nice peninsula in the kitchen that I set my cutting mat up on, so I tend to go back and forth between the living room and the kitchen a lot when I'm piecing. The ironing board goes wherever it's most convenient when I'm piecing- either the kitchen or the living room.

My 9-year-old has her own sewing machine, I set her up with it and the ironing board in our dining area yesterday, that worked out nicely.

As for quilting, I quilt by hand so it's pretty portable- I take it wherever I feel like quilting- the living room, outside, in front of the tv when I want to watch a movie at night, in the car...
Old 08-18-2011, 05:25 AM

I have a small walk in closet, it is long in length. It works for me, I can shut the bi-fold doors when I am not sewing and know one knows it is my hidden room.