Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappointed in Fabric Purchased via Internet >

Disappointed in Fabric Purchased via Internet

Disappointed in Fabric Purchased via Internet

Old 08-26-2011, 07:53 AM

I do shop online as my favourite shop is in NM and I Live in CT. azquilts.com and fabric.com are great. If I mess up and buy something that is 'not quite there' I add it to my stash or donate it.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:53 AM

That is really too bad. I order all the time and only once have I been disappointed with the match. I purchased a Kona Bay sample chart too and that is really worth the investment. I would say that I order about $75.00-$100.00 every month and have been for several years. I order when things are on sale, refuse to pay over $9 a yard. I know which fabric lines to order but don't always follow my rules. To me it is worth the occasional mismatch rather than standing in line or driving miles. Hope you will try again. You may PM me and I will send you the list of my favorite places.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by quilt-fanatic
have you ever been 'less than excited' over the color of fabric you received? What, if anything, did you do about it? I probably won't order any more fabric on line - regardless of the price, to avoid colors that don't match.
The format the picture is posted as well as your monitor have a lot to do with the appearance of fabric color online. Sometimes if I'm not sure about a color I'll go to another site and see if the fabric color looks different. ( via www.quiltshops.com) I'll also go to sites that have design boards to check colors.

Once I learned to use this method my color choices became much more accurate.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:07 AM

Thanks for the link. Our area also lost a LQS. I try to shop locally as much as I can, but it's becoming more difficult.

Originally Posted by dcamarote
I recently ordered from a Lady that was on the internet. She lives down in FL and her fabrics are fantastic and for the quality, I think very reasonable. She also carries fabrics that are out of print; something I was looking for to finish a boy scout quilt for my DGS. She had it; she called me; we talked a couple of times. When I told her about my quilt group and the quilts of valor and pillowcases, quilts, etc we make for various charities - she enclosed 3 yards of beautiful patriotic fabric for us to use.
As she said, my way of giving back a little something. I am posting her link here and I hope you look through her materials.
She is wonderful.

MusicandOtherMemories.com
727-418-0388
Karen Donnelly, owner

PS - we had a LQS close yesterday. Owners were crying; everyone was buying what was left; 14 years in business. Support your LQS, please and thanks.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmau
I do shop online as my favourite shop is in NM and I Live in CT. azquilts.com and fabric.com are great. If I mess up and buy something that is 'not quite there' I add it to my stash or donate it.
I have shopped both places and have been very pleased with my puchases.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:34 AM

SOrry to hear about your mishap / I myself have never ordered material on line as was always scared might get the wrong colors but reading all the comments seems most have had great success.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:39 AM

Actually I haven't but my DDIL has. We looked @ a fabric in Hancock of Padacuh book and it wasn't even close to the picture.I usually order blenders, marbles or batiks so have not been surprised! I have been happy with everything!!
Originally Posted by quilt-fanatic
have you ever been 'less than excited' over the color of fabric you received? What, if anything, did you do about it? I probably won't order any more fabric on line - regardless of the price, to avoid colors that don't match.
:lol: :-D :lol:
Old 08-26-2011, 08:47 AM

Thanks Gollytoo for the list of all the online quilt shops. I have purchased from some of the ones you mentioned. Others are new to me so I will save those names and give them a try some time. Marilyn
Old 08-26-2011, 09:11 AM

I have always been pleased with fabric ordered from:
Fabricdepot.com
ThousandsofBolts.com
Bugfabric.com
ACounterpane.com
Fabric.com
Buyfabricsonline.com

My suggestion if you need an EXACT color, order a "swatch" which gives you the opportunity to double-check the color. Some websites won't offer that option, but I've found if you call their 800 number, most all of them are willing to send you a swatch.

I have at least 5 quilt shops within 20 miles of my house and I still love to order online. Even when I don't actually order, it's a good way to look at all the new lines.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:12 AM

when you live about one hundred miles from any of the better fabric stores, you almost have to order on line and I have learned to get extra fabric when I buy, about one yard or if I'm makingg a quilt I get an extra yard of the main fabrics.
d. swindle