Bra Straps

Old 08-26-2011, 06:45 PM

Just had to laugh when I saw this thread. Glad I'm not the only one with strap slippage. Thanks all for the tips.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:02 PM

Another one that is always fighting her straps! ANd I did get fitted at Dillard's and buy expensive bra's. They all slip off of my shoulders. That is the only area on my body that is narrow. LOL Going to take some of these suggestions & try them. Thanks for this topic!
Old 08-26-2011, 08:15 PM

This works for me - I have shoulders that are 3" lower than at the neck, therefore, no bra strap would stay up, even was fitted, and those didn't work. I found that if I stitch a 3" piece of elastic onto each strap, no longer have the problem of my straps falling off my shoulders. I do both straps at the same time, so they are even. Attaching picture of the last bra I stitched the elastic onto.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-247243.jpe  
Old 08-26-2011, 09:58 PM

I always had the slipping problem too, until I was properly fitted. I went to a shop that specialized in undergarments and prosthesis. The gal that ran the shop even had a sewing machine in the shop for alterations and quick fixes etc. I will say, after I was fitted, my band size went down two sizes, and my cup size increased five sizes. WAY better fit! I'd been compensating (obviously) by buying a larger chest size to accomodate the lack of fabric in the cups. The regular stores just didn't (and still don't) carry my size, so I pay a bit more, but have fairly comfortable bras. She also has me in the computer, so I can even send hubby in to get new bras, and he comes home with the right ones!
I recently took my daughter into Penney's to be fitted-figured the trained salesperson should know more than mom-and she measured her three cup sizes UNDER what she needed to be. She could never have squeezed into what she'd been measured. I guess I'm trying to say, if you have a specialty shop nearby, I'd try them over a chain store. I've never tried VS-kind of doubted they'd have my size, and Macy's said special order only-maybe, so I just visit my local specialty store! She's a sweet gal, wonderful service, and I'm happy to help keep her in business.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
OK, now how in blazes do you reach back there and adjust that thingamagig? Or do you snap yourselves together in the front and twist and turn into the "cups"?
You can do it that way (my mother did that for years even without the 'strap-keeper') but I attach the keeper cross strap before I put it on and then put it over my head like a shirt and then hook behind my back.

I have the problem because, being heavy, I use a band extender and that means the bra strap ends near the hooks are further apart than they really should be to prevent slippage. (can't get a bigger bra band size, cups are then too big)
Old 08-27-2011, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by judymay
Do any of you intelligent lady's have a solution for bra straps that continually fall off your shoulder?
Yes, I had that same problem. I've had a bilateral mastectomy and my straps kept falling off my shoulders. I took a 12" or so piece of elastic (1 inch wide) and sewed it to my bras straps at shoulder blade heighth. It works wonderful. You have to put that over your head then hook the hooks, turn back around and put your arms through the holes. I saw the ones you can buy, but you would still have to put the bra on over your head, unless you have someone to hook it for you or have the front hook kind. Good luck! Mary
P.S. I don't wear a bra very often, only in the Summer time when I go out. In the winter time my jacket is enough cover so I leave bra at home when shopping. No one knows I don't have one on. I have to buy mastectomy bras @ 50.00 each, so I don't have many. I have not mastered putting pockets in regular bras for my "boobs". lol
Old 08-28-2011, 01:42 PM

Don't wear one, thats my solution!
Old 08-29-2011, 05:58 PM

I know what you mean!!!!!!
I have small shoulders, 14 inches across, but had the bigger boobs, so I have to buy larger bra's to fit.
I used my seam ripper and took out the stitches and move the straps over 1/2 inch to the center. This is the only way to keep them from falling off. I also do the same for my daughter's bra's.
I was using double face tape on the straps for awhile.
Syl
Old 08-29-2011, 08:09 PM

Hi, Bras made by Olga have straps that are more to the center of the back....keeping the straps on your shoulders. I have "sloping" shoulders and these bras are the most compfortable I have ever worn. Anne
Old 08-29-2011, 09:36 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for all the great tips, ladies!
Great post!