Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone else have this problem? >

Does anyone else have this problem?

Does anyone else have this problem?

Old 09-02-2011, 07:58 AM
KLO

Maybe it's because you are a Steelers fan? hehehe Just kidding. Seriously though, just keep at it if you love it and since it appears that you quilt/sew for charity, that makes it ever more important to keep at it since you are making quilts for those in need. Love you for that even with the Steelers connection. (Can you tell we are Eagles' fans?)
Old 09-02-2011, 07:59 AM

You look at something you have made and see all the mistakes, flaws, subtle details, and colors you didn't use.

When you look at someone else's work, you never see anything wrong cause you don't know about what they went thru to finish that piece.

I started in 1973 and there was little out there to learn from. The older quilt books had beautiful work and I did not realize that the maker may have created only one such masterpiece in her life. My work just seemed so far off the mark.

Now I know better. I do this because I love it. The warm and admiring comments from others are my standard, not every little thing I did wrong.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:09 AM
pal

Wrap yourself up in the warmth of your quilt. You'll see that the mistakes don't matter. Give it a try....
Old 09-02-2011, 09:27 AM

That sounds like me.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Granny Quilter
I am always the first to see mistakes in my own work.
You are your own worst critic. Just enjoy what you do and how it looks. Don't look for mistakes.
Perfect advice! Somewhere along the way I realized I have no artisitc talen but I love sewing machines & have very much fun doing simple quilts with simple blocks in bright colors & children love them. I love the fact that they take them in the car, on picnics, throw on the floor or whatever, but they have fun with them.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:18 AM

Yes, very common. I use to think that I procrastenated a lot. That wasn't it, I just didn't understand what I was really doing. Sometimes if you saw a demonstration of what ever you are trying to do you would get the picture, and another thang, I hated reading the instruction, but they are very useful too. But no ones perfect and no two things are alike. Keep practicing
Old 09-02-2011, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Kim T
I am still just learning but I love all the quilts I make. I told my friend who has to have everything perfect that I had decided my quilting is Crooked Line Quilting. Beware there are alot of fakes out there, if the lines are straight you have gotten a forgery. Just quilt for the enjoyment and not the perfection.
Love this response! I'm always on the lookout for straight seams :roll:
Old 09-02-2011, 10:36 AM

cjomomma wrote:
I learned not to compare my quilts to others or I would give on quilting. I love quilting, I have my own style and I love my finished quilts so that's all that matters to me.

I agree with this. I may not be as good as some, but may be better than others. I look at intent behind the work. Sometimes "perfection" is overrated. If you enjoy quilting, go for it!! Life is too short to worry about competition in something you love.;) Roberta
Old 09-02-2011, 11:01 AM

We'll find our way -- not to worry!
Old 09-02-2011, 11:13 AM

I went to an exhibition of antique quilts at the Quilt Museum in York (UK). I noticed that many of them had points that were not only imperfect, but often WAY out. Or the quilting was wobbly. Or the blocks weren't placed regularly. Or, or or... And every single one of them was being honoured by being on display and was beautiful. That was when I decided to stop comparing my work with some imaginary perfection, to just enjoy making them and be proud of myself for what I CAN do, rather than be angry or sad about what is beyond me. Eight years ago I'd spent nearly 50 years believing that I was totally useless at sewing or anything to do with crafts or art - now I make quilts that bring pleasure to me and to others. That's enough.