Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone else have this problem? >

Does anyone else have this problem?

Does anyone else have this problem?

Old 09-03-2011, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I listen to any criticism of my quilts but don't care about any of it. I have very thick skin and very seldom does any negative comments get through to my heart. I quilt because I love doing it and that's all that means anything to me. Some quilts are not as nice as I would liked to have made them. One quilt that was horrible made and I knew it, I entered in a local quilt show because I loved the colors and design and it made me feel good to look at it. I heard plenty of negative comments from other quilters but guess what? I won Viewer's Choice of the whole show! The people liked my quilt and didn't see the crooked seams or mismatched pieces.
congrads, that's the spirit. love the out come,
Old 09-04-2011, 03:39 AM

[quote=QM] I was able to show her the trick of flipping the upper seam allowance towards the needle, so that the already sewn seam is held in place.

QM, what is this trick? I'm pretty good (LOL, in my mind) at matching seams, but not always! Sometimes it makes me crazy. Never heard of this and can't follow the logic (sorry) . Is there a video somewhere that shows this?
This could help me improve! Thanks!!
Old 09-04-2011, 04:11 AM

I recently did a quilt that I had done all of the components to before so I thought; a piece of cake. I had to redo more things than I could imagine. When I told my teacher she said that sometimes the more you learn the more mistakes you make because you rush thru things because you think you know them. I know I hadn't made that many mistakes the first time around because I was being so careful to get it right. Keep on going; it'll get eaiser and lets face it; it's your quilt so it shouldn't look like everyone elses anyhow.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:06 AM

I have to echo what others have said..Don't give up like I did..I gave away most all of my quilting necessities...I was going thru a very hard time in my life and did not think I would ever sew or quilt again..I only kept my sewing machine and few pins and beige thread... Now I am doing better and miss not being able to quilt ...I am replacing items slowly...
Take a break and come back to it...and I think you will be ok..
Old 09-05-2011, 07:45 PM

I spent years making a Grandmother's Flower Garden for our oldest granddaughter. I did a lot of things wrong, but every single stitch was lovingly done by hand. When it was finished, my husband said I should enter it in a quilt show. Of course, I know judges would find numerous things wrong, but having him say that was great praise as he is a man of few words. My granddaughter loved it as did our daughter (her mother). So who cares if there are mistakes. It is the love that goes into it that is most important and knowing the recipient loves it, too, makes all the years of sewing worth it. I'll never make a GFG again, but am trying to get quilts made for all eight grandchildren. So hang in there.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:41 AM

Thanks Susan, you are right. I'm surprised and happy everytime I open up one of my finished quilts. And I like that feeling of accomplishment for self pleasure. We are good people that have a great hobby to love !
Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I love these comments.
I have found a pattern with me- I never like what I make that much until later on- after I haven't seen it awhile maybe. It looks so much better!
I also try not to compare my work with others b/c I'm not nearly as good as many but I love to create and it makes me happy. My family think my quilts are works of art but they aren't- but hey! I'll take it :D
:-P
Old 09-06-2011, 03:48 PM

I feel the same way, but I attribute that to my inexperience (1 yr 4mo quilting). But that's OK - I love quilting, have many MANY ideas that I just don't seem to get to.
wsbquilter
Old 09-06-2011, 03:50 PM

Any ideas how I can stretch the clock to get more time to do more quilting?