Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone else have this problem? >

Does anyone else have this problem?

Does anyone else have this problem?

Old 09-02-2011, 04:13 PM

I make functional quilts - if they were museum pieces I would never let my kids sleep on them. Also, I can make 10 machine quilted quilts in the time it would take to make one hand quilted. So why not?
Old 09-02-2011, 04:17 PM

I think you may be a lot too hard on yourself!!
We ALL do that, you can see every little thing you think is wrong! No doubt you are HEAPS better than you think! :thumbup:
Old 09-02-2011, 04:34 PM

I've been quilting for under 2 years and I love my quilts. I'm not making anything too complicated yet and I know they are not perfect but really, who knows where the imperfections are except me? I love making them and the people I give them to love them and that's all I care about.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:10 PM

when i would emroidery and the thread should be in a different place my husband would alway say make it your way
so that is whatit is all about the happiness it gives you to work with your hands

I did a mailbox post and mailbox last week and am soo proud of me. silly me no not a quilt but get giddy being proud about it

so enjoy what makes you feel good inside. Whatever it may be.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:13 PM

Maybe take a few classes with people whose work you admire. Sometimes you can get a one on one, I love those, both for teaching and learning.

Originally Posted by Margie
I love to sew and quilt. I read books, watch videos, read tips from the board and try to do my best. I have great machines, fabric and notions,,,,but I never seem to get any better and my projects never turn out the way other peoples do. It is frustrating.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:35 PM

You are your own worst critic. Just relax and have fun and build your quilts the way you want to. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and everyone doesn't see the same thing. HAVE FUN!!
Old 09-02-2011, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
No matter how good you are, no matter how experienced you are at ANYTHING at all, there are always going to be those who are better than you at something or anything.

So go on and enjoy what you do. You've heard of the Quilt Police, haven't you? Those are folks who lurk in the darkness and try to drag everyone down to their mental level. Don't let them get you down.

GO on and make anything your heart desires, make it in flaming reds and oranges if that makes you happy. Make it in just plain black with black thread through it if it makes YOU happy.

You'll feel good when you make what you like, when you like, for whom you like, and be sure to make yourself something to love. That's what WE"RE here for, to learn and help others learn.
My favorite color combination is hot pink and orange...
and my stuff does not look quite as good as it used to,
because I am older....
So nothing is perfect! But enjoy it anyway - and if you are
not satisfied with your triangle points, cut out some posies and sew them in a row. to make somebody happy when they look at them.
jpthequilter
Old 09-02-2011, 07:55 PM

One of the things I am learning on this life's journey is that I see differently - when I was young, I wanted a painting to be exact, sharp, clear, perfect colors; now I love Monet's colors, shades, and I see life in this blended state - I am more forgiving of myself.

I take my glasses off when I look at my finished quilt. It looks like a Monet.

I slap my hand and tape my mouth when I start acting like a teacher and giving myself a B or C for those inperfections.

I do the best I can at the time. It is as it is. Never perfect but from a distance it is looking pretty good.

I appreciate the true quilters, the masters.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:01 PM

Sometimes I think we are just too hard on ourselves. I'm sure that your quilting has improved tremendously since you started. We just got home from holidays and visited a Quilt Museum (which was absolutely fabulous!!) The main thing I learned from visiting this wonderful exhibition is that I am far too hard on myself!! I saw mistakes in the quilts that were on display but the quilts were still absolutely amazing!! I think we need to be gentler on ourselves. Life is far too short to be so self-critical. If you are enjoying the process, it is worth it!! Relax and enjoy what you are doing - no quilt police allowed!!
Old 09-02-2011, 08:03 PM

this is such a good discussion. i really like everyones comments. thx. my .02 worth.
A THING OF BEAUTY IS NEVER PERFECT.

i "do the best i can on any given day. then move on..."that is a quote i stole from the dear jane philos.
and those that receive our quilts who themselves don't quilt, never notice the little imperfections. BUT WE GOT THEM DONE.

quiltmanic. where was the quilt museum?