Does anyone else have this problem?

Old 09-02-2011, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by scraphq
Ramona Bird---Very well said!

D I T T O ! ! !
Old 09-02-2011, 02:33 AM
QM
Power Poster

I have been quilting a bit under 11 years. I work at it and make an effort to improve. Some of my quilts are the 'quick and dirty' variety. Some are 'serious'. Lots of people I know view me as a fine quilter. I know others who definitely look down on my quilting. The MAIN reason I quilt is that it gives me pleasure. I am certainly my own worst critic. I know I could be much better if I took quilting more seriously, but then it would probably be WORK. I am saying all this because I am very aware that I make mistakes. I fix them if they bother me, ignore them if they don't. I have a friend who does about 1/4 as much as I do and frets over every detail. I feel glad that I am not on that 'page'.

Try to figure out what about your quilts bothers you. Maybe you need to tune up your machine, or slow down to make them come out more to your liking. Sometimes a little trick or 2 helps. I was in a group sewing session where a much more experienced quilter was griping that she always has trouble getting seams to meet up properly, even though she pins and repins. I was able to show her the trick of flipping the upper seam allowance towards the needle, so that the already sewn seam is held in place. this trick solved almost all of MY seam matching problems and it did for her too.

I strongly suggest that you figure out ONE thing that bothers you about one of your quilts. Ask about how to fix that one problem. I'm sure someone here has figured out a solution and will be more than ready to help. Just work on that one thing until you are more confident to go on.

another way to look at it is to look at one of your first endevors and see you much you have improved. Until this month, I had my first quilt hanging over my desk. I could see a hundred things wrong with it....or a hundred ways I am a better quilter now.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:35 AM

As long as you do YOUR best, then it's YOUR best.I love quilting...am I good...ehhh, maybe not by others standards. Do I enjoy it...YES...and in the end that's what matters. It brings me joy and in return, joy to the one's I've made quilts for.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:01 AM

don't give up, don't rush , take your time, enjoy the process and your outcome. what you create, whether straight, crooked, wonky, centered, wavy, is truly one of a kind and a treasure!
Old 09-02-2011, 03:25 AM

I love to sew and quilt also. Will I ever win a ribbon or feel I am good enough to enter something in a show? Probably not; but I enjoy what I do. Sewing a quilting is for your pleasure, not to compare.
My BFF thinks I am so good, where if you ask me, I think I stink. Quilters tend to be there worst critic. Enjoy what you do!
Old 09-02-2011, 03:32 AM

I have the same problem. But I have learned the more I make quilts I get better at it. I start out doing a small version of the quilt I plan to make first before I tackle the full size version of the quilt.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:32 AM

A dear friend told me once, 'no one will know you made it unless there are a few imperfections'. She was right. I can point out all my mistakes..... others don't always see them.... or are too kind to point them out.

So, enjoy what you are doing, take a class if you like (that always helps me improve), REMEMBER.... there are an awful lot of people that can't even thread a needle. You are one of the special ones that took a chance at something new and challenging. You go girl!!
Old 09-02-2011, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I learned not to compare my quilts to others or I would give on quilting. I love quilting, I have my own style and I love my finished quilts so that's all that matters to me.
I totally agree or I would have quit a long time ago.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I learned not to compare my quilts to others or I would give on quilting. I love quilting, I have my own style and I love my finished quilts so that's all that matters to me.
Well said. I enjoy what I'm doing. Others enjoy receiving them. They may not be perfect but are made with lots of love!
Old 09-02-2011, 03:50 AM

That's why I enjoy this board! Everyone is different, if everyone did the same it would be a boring board. I love that everyone can share, no matter how long they've been quilting/sewing and feel comfortable. I do agree there isn't enough time in the day for all the things I want to get done, but I still enjoy everything I do. I hope you don't get discouraged and still share.