Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone else have this problem? >

Does anyone else have this problem?

Does anyone else have this problem?

Old 09-02-2011, 03:51 AM

I think part of it is that we know every flaw in our own quilts. We don't see the whole quilt, we see a boo boo here, a crooked seam there, etc. But with someone else's quilt, we see the whole, beautiful quilt.

I've made quilts for my kids and family and I always tell them it was made with love. You can't get that from a store. They see the whole quilt, not the flaws.

And you will improve with time. :D
Old 09-02-2011, 03:53 AM

Maybe you are just too hard on yourself. It is a trait of perfectionists. Which is something other than being perfect, more the desire to be perfect. And to a perfectionest, they never seem to attain it, at least not in their own eyes! Keep at it, im sure they are perfect to the person you made them for.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:01 AM

I agree with what everyone has said. Usually we tend to be our own worse critic, and see absolutely EVERY single mistake. It's a mistake, it's not life threatening and most likely if you give to someone, they would never see the "mistake", just know that you gave them a beautiful quilt/wall hanging.

I actually think that you don't have any confidence in what you're making your quilts, but honestly, the more we quilt the better we get, and the fact is that some people seem to be a "natural" at the actual quilting. I'm NOT one of those, even if I had a long arm I don't think a million years of practicing that I would come close to being as good as some of these gals, but don't put yourself down, enjoy your sewing/quilting and you will get better.

If you're having a problem with a certain procedure, post your problem/s and show us pictures and I'm sure that someone will be able to help you through it.

If you enjoy the sewing, enjoy it, quilting is supposed to be FUN not stressful.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:25 AM

try making small wall hangings of different techniques and see what you like best, it's all a learning process but most importantly - have fun don't pressure yourself to be perfect
Old 09-02-2011, 04:31 AM

I usually try to change something on the Quilt i am working on because i don't want to look back at what the other person was making and have that thought --- what did i do wrong ? i think that i make nice things , BUT i am always second guessing my self.i make things and a lot of times i will bring them for show and tell and they just stay in the car. i know i am crazzzy. : :|
Old 09-02-2011, 04:36 AM
Power Poster

I love these comments.
I have found a pattern with me- I never like what I make that much until later on- after I haven't seen it awhile maybe. It looks so much better!
I also try not to compare my work with others b/c I'm not nearly as good as many but I love to create and it makes me happy. My family think my quilts are works of art but they aren't- but hey! I'll take it :D
Old 09-02-2011, 04:40 AM

You may not think you have improved. Neither did I when I first started. Go back and look at your first quilts. You will notice that you have gotten better. For now just do the best you can. Don't compare your work to others. Make want you want with your own style. That's what makes your quilts yours.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:42 AM
Power Poster

I really like QM's comment!!
Old 09-02-2011, 04:49 AM

Great thread! Very incoraging! In my eye, I'm not near as good as a lot on here, but I enjoy doing this. It's relaxing to me, and it keeps my mind frame clear from worry. I quilt and sew to please myself first. When I give my creations to someone, it's really not a beauty of what it is, it's the thoughts of that person that I sew into that project. Those that know me, know that everything I try to make is founded with my love for that person.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:50 AM

Don't you know about the Ten Foot Rule? What you can't see from 10 feet doesn't matter!
Remember this is an artistic outlet, not brain surgery. If you make a mistake, no one will die. So, loosen up, take a deep breath, and enjoy yourself!