Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question for employees of Joann's >

question for employees of Joann's

question for employees of Joann's

Old 09-26-2011, 06:41 AM

I worked for Dillards and was not allowed to use my purse. I had to use a clear plastic one that they gave me. Makes you feel kind of funny. I don't like working for a company that doesn't trust me. In all my years of working I found that managment were the worst thieves.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:42 AM

we do that at a store I work at just policy
Old 09-26-2011, 06:44 AM

my daughter works at TJ Maxx. And YES, the store manager checks everyone's bag/purses upon them leaving the store after their shift. It keeps honest people honest, I guess.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:44 AM

I was visiting Mexico City once and we were going to see that old city that is underneath. Forget what it was called. It so happens that this site is near the presidential palace and a criminal who had made a threat against the president was being released from prison that day. There were soldiers with big guns everywhere in the streets. So...to get into this ancient site we had to have our purses looked through. To my embarrassment as the guy was pawing through my purse a maxi pad fell out. I could have died........
Old 09-26-2011, 06:52 AM

It's standard policy in many stores.

To the people who complain about checking the purses in front of customers, think about the number of employees Joann's usually has working at one time and the number of customers waiting in line at any given moment. Would you rather the cashier walk to the back of the store and leave the customer waiting?
Old 09-26-2011, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by jeank
I witnessed a strange incident in Joann's recently and wondered if it is their policy.

One of the clerks was leaving the store as her child was soon due home on the school bus. She went over to another clerk and opened her purse, the second clerk peeked into it, and on the girl went.

Is it the policy to search employees as they leave? Do they think the employee is stealing the store in her purse? I do realize that employee theft is a big problem with retailers, but I thought this display was over the top, and in front of customers.

Just wondering,
Jean
I am a little less than mildly amused at the docile public acceptance of these store policies. It is a safe bet that if government were requiring these searches, the cry would be totalitariansim! Why are we so willing to let businesses violate basic Fourth Amendment rights by searching our personal possessions without probable cause?
froggyintexas
Old 09-26-2011, 06:56 AM

I had to carry a clear plastic purse when I worked at Penney's long ago and I was security.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:02 AM

To work at a certain department store in our town, a normal purse is not allowed. You must carry a small clear plastic tote!
Old 09-26-2011, 07:02 AM

I knew I forgot something in my previous post...the most important incident that I THINK I saw happening at JoAnn's.

I THOUGHT JoAnn's opened at 10:00 Sunday morning so I left my house about 9:45 to get there when they opened. When I went up to the door mall security opened the door and asked me if I was there to walk the mall. I said no that I wanted to shop at JoAnn's and he said they did not open till noon. So I went back to my car and was sitting there debating if I wanted to walk around in other stores that were open for almost 2 hours or go home and come back at noon. The back door of JoAnn's was right across from where I parked and I saw 2 people coming out the door carrying crafting items...not bagged but in plain sight. One of the ladies glanced at me but proceeded to get in her vehicle and drive away. Fast forward to noon.

I found all of my fabric and took it to the cutting counter and here is this lady...she gave me a strange look but said hello, what are you working on...blah blah blah. So then I started making small talk with her asking her if she sewed etc. I told her that I have been sewing for years but also enjoyed doing a lot of crafty things...which she said she did to. Then the shocker...another employee walked over and said that someone was on the phone and wanted to speak to a store manager...which I found out that SHE was a manager.

So that explained why I saw her leaving the back door with all of the stuff and I watched her put a key in the lock and lock JoAnn's back door. Was she stealing and able to get away with it since she was a manager?

I have shopped at both JoAnn's in my area and as of yet have not had the checkout person unfold my fabrics. But I agree that if someone wants to steal...that would be a great way to do it. I must be an idiot because I would have NEVER thought about doing that...or maybe I am too honest. lol
Old 09-26-2011, 07:04 AM

I was at the Joann's and the SAME thing happened. The manager was at the register ( helping me check out), he explained to me it was a new corporate policy. Apparently,
Joann's has been having problems with employees stealing.