Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is a fair price of fabric? >

What is a fair price of fabric?

What is a fair price of fabric?

Old 01-09-2012, 06:44 PM

I am looking forward to next Monday when I hope to shop at my LQS since DD will be out of town. I am not sure if I will buy anything yet since I am to have surgery on the 18th and won't know how long I will be unable to sit and sew. But I am hoping just a week, no more than two. I am excited to start my first actual quilt...have 2 drawn out and colors picked. I have fabric picked out too but want to see what my store has to offer before I purchase online.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:51 PM

Since you are just beginning, you might make some costly mistakes if you spend too much on any fabric. However, after you gain some confidence consider how much time and effort you will be putting into a quilt and buy the best you can afford. I consider $10.00 a yard a fair price, but always look for sales. Experience will teach you.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:20 PM

The $5 mark up covers the rent and maintenance of the shop, taxes for property and business, insurance, power, heat and wages and labor and industries costs for the labor. Possibly somewhere in the grand scheme of the LQS
business a profit is made. At the cost of UPS and Fed Ex which are the most common shippers in our area there is a large charge for shipping. All in all, I think that the vast majority of small business owners are trying to be fair and still be able to have profitability for themselves. You pay for the personal service you find in a LQS. I don't see a large chain store ordering in a bolt of fabric because one person wants 2 yards to finish their quilt.It happens more than you think in a LQS.

Originally Posted by NikkiLu View Post
A local quilt shop just went out of business - they started out at 30% off - then 40% off and then 50% off. I bought some fabric at every discount. The last time that I went (50% off) I heard the owner tell a relative that he was now at COST. So, if the fabric is $10 a yard - that means that it cost them $5 a yard. A $5 a yard profit seems excessive to me.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:22 AM

I buy the web specials from Hancock of Paduca.I never buy from Jo Anns the quality is just not there.and the fading is so evident after just a few washings.The web specials come in 3 different price ranges but the quality is tops I stay in the 7 dollar range for batiks and 4 dollar range for other fabrics .They have never disappointed me.