Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I out of line here? >

Am I out of line here?

Am I out of line here?

Old 02-14-2012, 04:47 PM

I would have cancelled the order as well. They should have said up front that it wouldn't be covered.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
When a small business offers an item online the shipping costs should be clearly stated. The company I am associated with has not updated the website to cover actual cost of shipping since the recent price increases, but we still send it out and eat the difference until we can get the site updated. It is not our customer's fault that we haven't fixed the problem. Besides we value their business much more than the # of dollars it is costing us till we can update.
My husband and myself go to Hampton Beach this is in NH over the Columbus day weekend. This past year I booked our room. Called the place it was a beach front room and the price listed on the website was not right it was cheaper on line than the actual price. When she told me that I told her that I would pay full price. And she said. Oh no dear you will get it for the price listed I thanked her and gave her my information to secure the room. Well when we got there she had given our room to someone else. Showed her the reservation on my I pad and she said the room has been taken but I have a room in the back you can have. I just walked out. We did find a room it wasn't a beach front it was a beach view. And a lot more expensive but I guess that is what credit cards were for. We traveled for this time and by darn we were staying.
Bad business...... They have no spot for comments on their site. I wonder why.......
Will never recommend them and will warn people of my experience with them..
But we did have a great time anyways.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:43 PM

I agree with all of you, the only problem is i am finding most places are doing this, i think they know they have us over a barrell, i had the same thing happen but with a pattern, the pattern was 3.00 dollars and 6.50 to ship, i didn't buy it.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:38 PM

Just so you all know, it was not an Amazon purchase. It was an online company called Homestead Hearth.
I had an email from the site today informing me that had I read their shipping policy it says that on some sale items the shipping charged may be insufficient and more might be added later. I did go and read their policy and it does say that so I guess I must concede that point. However I still feel that it should also say on the actual sale page where one orders and also on the invoice that this is a case where additional shipping will be required.
She further stated that they were still prepared to ship my order, AS SOON AS THE ADDITIONAL SHIPPING WAS RECEIVED. LOL ....... That was in reply to my letter of complaint about the situation and me stating that I felt it was poor service on their part to let me cancel my order rather than work this out with me. They absolutely did not get my point at all about why I felt mislead and deceived.
My email to paypal was replied with the comment that they only got involved if there was a problem filed and since my order had been cancelled they said the issue was resolved. I did file the original complaint with paypal, but they don't get involved until after 20 days if you haven't resolved it with the seller. In the meantime I kept getting billed for this shipping charge by paypal. LOL
I'm glad it's over but I would have liked to have the grab bags for my scrappy quilts.
Thank you all so much for your support and helping me with this. I feel like I did all I could so I'm ready to let it go and move on. Lesson learned.
Hugs and smiless and happy, careful shopping online to all of you.

Last edited by wildyard; 02-14-2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
I did talk to them via email. We went back and forth several times before I gave up and cancelled. I don't know if I am allowed to give the name of the company on here, but it was the person in charge I was talking to as far as I understood it.
leave out a couple of letters or just spell it backwards, if it was quilting related. We need to know
Old 02-15-2012, 05:10 AM

I agree you did the right thing by canceling. It still stumps me why more sellers do not use Flat Rate Shipping boxes. USPS will deliver the boxes and then pick them up. As far as the handling charges isn't that what we are already paying for in the retail cost of the product.

Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
Just so you all know, it was not an Amazon purchase. It was an online company called Homestead Hearth.
I had an email from the site today informing me that had I read their shipping policy it says that on some sale items the shipping charged may be insufficient and more might be added later. I did go and read their policy and it does say that so I guess I must concede that point. However I still feel that it should also say on the actual sale page where one orders and also on the invoice that this is a case where additional shipping will be required.
She further stated that they were still prepared to ship my order, AS SOON AS THE ADDITIONAL SHIPPING WAS RECEIVED. LOL ....... That was in reply to my letter of complaint about the situation and me stating that I felt it was poor service on their part to let me cancel my order rather than work this out with me. They absolutely did not get my point at all about why I felt mislead and deceived.
My email to paypal was replied with the comment that they only got involved if there was a problem filed and since my order had been cancelled they said the issue was resolved. I did file the original complaint with paypal, but they don't get involved until after 20 days if you haven't resolved it with the seller. In the meantime I kept getting billed for this shipping charge by paypal. LOL
I'm glad it's over but I would have liked to have the grab bags for my scrappy quilts.
Thank you all so much for your support and helping me with this. I feel like I did all I could so I'm ready to let it go and move on. Lesson learned.
Hugs and smiless and happy, careful shopping online to all of you.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:20 AM

I agree with what you did. I wouldn't have paid any additional shipping.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:34 AM

Default Pay Pal

I agree! One thing is if you use Paypal they will try to work it out for you. I won a number of items on ebay from the same seller. When I asked for a combined invoice he said thats it. The order was for like $18.00 and the shipping was $32. In the end Paypal tried to get him to lower the shipping, but he wouldn't give in. I canceled. I later saw the items relisted at a higher price with shipping included.
Another time I received an order with postaage due. I contacted the seller and she said that it was a deal, and she wouldn't reimburse me for the shipping, even when I said I won't buy form her again. Some times you just have to bite the bullet, as I did.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:34 AM

I would also have cancelled, as I think it would be illegal to tack on charges after the "contract" has already been completed. I buy from various sellers on eBay and what sometimes seems to be a reasonable price for a piece of fabric is totally blown out of the water by an outrageous shipping charge. We all know what an envelope costs, what it costs us to drive to the post office, and what the postage would be. If what a vendor is charging me is more than that estimate, I just don't order. You did good!
Old 02-15-2012, 05:45 AM

Unfortunately, unscrupulous merchants like the one you dealt with are going to spoil things for honest merchants. People will eventually catch on that they're being fleeced and decide not to order anything over the Internet. I've gotten so wary that I'd have gone to the Contact Us section and left them an email clarifying the postage situation. I won't deal with PayPal at all, because I got taken once by them, and they were not willing to correct their own error. Bah humbug!