Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Worst Advice... >
  • Worst Advice...

• Worst Advice...

Old 01-21-2013, 12:18 PM

the last bit of bad advice was a worker at handcocks told me that a serger doesn't have to have a special needle just use the regular machine needles. I was trying to do a QAYG with my serger. nice idea but I just ended up messing my machine up so never again. also my old machine wants serger needles or the other just break. I don't know bout the new ones but i learned that those who know it alls---- don't. I read and watch and i'll try different ways but then I go with what works for me. I just wish some people could be a little bit less snooty when they want to stick their nose up and give advice. and I don't show my work to anyone here cause this family only believes they can do anything and play quilt police on everyones elses stuff. I'm not the quilt police so i say my oooohs and ahhhs and just enjoy looking. but learned not to say anyone else did a good job to the one where i am at. don't want to get onto there competition or take sides. both do nice work as far as i am concerned and they quilt traditionally I usually paper peice and applique so we have total different taste.they also like speedy things and i go slow and just relax with my work. I just put binding on a wallhanging and added some buttons of animals as embellishment. it is a farm scene and orchard on the road side type. I need to learn to take pictures and put on here and see what you all think. since my stroke i stick with something small. that is why the last quillow i need to get don't takes so long. all three got done but for some reason this one will end up animals beds and i ordered more material to start over. after this i don't want to facer another quillow for a while LOL.
    Old 01-21-2013, 12:43 PM

You can't use THOSE colors together!
    Old 01-21-2013, 01:07 PM

I figure any advice offered is neither good nor bad, its just advice! I make the assessment and decide which advice to take and which to ignore. I also try to always politely thank the advice giver, even when I know that I am never going to follow up on the advice. If I am unsure of something, like what needle to use, then I listen, and try to some research on my own ( bless the internet!). I find that advice is mostly offered with good intent, and a desire to help. So a simple "thank you" goes a long way toward keeping the peace at the fabric counter! (Works with my family, too!)
    Old 01-21-2013, 02:19 PM
    Power Poster

I was almost affraid to look at this post, thinking about what bad advice I may have given

Press, press press!
    peace

I think the worst advice was to not bother to pre wash fabric.

Last edited by ube quilting; 01-21-2013 at 02:25 PM.
    Old 01-21-2013, 02:31 PM

That there is only one way to do something! There are as many ways as there are quilters and you need to do what works for you!
    Old 01-21-2013, 05:58 PM

I have been told over and over again by a quilt police masquerading as a friend that "You can't mix colors all together in a ____________ and expect the end result to look good." "It has too much movement/color, etc." is another favorite piece of her advice. However, at Christmastime she told a friend in my hearing that I used excellent colors when I quilted. HUH?????? Whatever!!! I use colors that appeal to me and want to play together (even if not nicely) and I quilt with crazy colored thread that usually show up both on the front and on the back.
    Old 01-21-2013, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by carolaug
    I was thinking we hear lots of advice from teacher, friends etc..regarding quilting. When I first started I watched a tutorial on the internet that said never iron seams or pieces. I tried that once...never again. Yes you can make a quilt...but it does not look as nice. It really makes a huge difference to take the time and iron the seams. What poor advice have you heard and tried?
    You know, with hand piecing it isn't as important to press each seam during assembly because you don't sew into the seam allowance. You assemble by sewing point to point, not sewing across any seam allowances, so it's a lot easier to press them later when the block is assembled and you can see which way they should be pressed.

But machine piecing...I do press those.
    Old 01-21-2013, 07:05 PM

Don't computerize your long arm because that isn't real quilting and isn't really artistic. I love my Intelliquilter and I feel just as artistic using it.
    Old 01-21-2013, 07:30 PM

Yes the "MY WAY" thing works with pre-washing fabrics, why/how to press seams, etc. Try it and find what works for you.
    Old 01-21-2013, 08:26 PM

i dont remember getting any advice and something wrong happen when i tried it , but then again if it doesnt sound right to me i dont try it