Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm just not creative >

I'm just not creative

I'm just not creative

Old 09-22-2014, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I quilt because I enjoy it. My quilts will never be great masterpieces but it doesn't bother me. I used to compare myself to others but not any more.
Thank you Tartan!! You have just made my day with your reply.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:06 AM
Power Poster

I used to feel the same way. I think looking at all the quilts here on the board and on Pinterest has really helped me develop a style. Give yourself a break. If everyone only relied on god-given talent we would not need Art/Design colleges.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:09 AM

I have a artist sister of my heart, who has beautiful art work in many places around the country. I ask her for ideas all the time, some I use, some not, not a problem for me. her ideas are so great, and she helped me so much when I first started quilting, and I learned so much about color, that I am so glad I had her close by to help me. Remember this, you had the idea first and she may have given her idea to make it what more exciting, well from the get go it was your idea, not hers. I ask hubby all the time for his input, some of it is good, (what I want him to say) some not so good, (how dare he not like it) LOL The thing for me is my love to just make quilts, have this need to just do it! If some one gives me an idea to make them better, well I'm ahead of the game. I get to make an even better one than on just my own, isn't that why we all buy patterns? JMHO
Old 09-22-2014, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by annesthreads View Post
Tell me what you think about this. I've been thinking about doing a Kaffe Fassett-style brightly coloured quilt. I haven't finalised a design yet but have been busy cutting out squares in lots of possible fabrics. This afternoon I was showing my very creative sister the squares and my fairly simple ideas as to what I might do. She immediately made a suggestion that would make the whole thing much more exciting. Instead of feeling happy and inspired, ever since I've just wanted to cry because it brought it home that I simply don't have that extra creative insight that comes so easily to her. What do you do if you desperately want to have original creativity - but it's just not there? I'm a workaday quilter who can turn out a competent quilt if I follow a pattern and it's not too difficult, but no more than that. I yearn to do original, self-expressive work, but the ideas are just not there.
My excitement about my quilt has gone. If I use my sister's idea, it won't feel like my original idea any more, and if I dont, i'll know it could have been better. I feel ridiculous for reacting so strongly, but also very miserable.
First, this is YOUR quilt. I have trouble with creativity too, so I spend a lot of time on google images looking up various names for quilts until I find inspiration. I never copy anybody's quilt, just let the quilts suggest ideas for the colors I want to use, then go find a pattern that is similar.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:51 AM

I am not creative at all. I cannot come up with colors, ideas of my own. I have 2 friends who are extremely creative. I don't care. If I see something I like, I just copy the idea. Who cares if I didn't dream it up myself. I love making it, especially since I know how the finished product will look. There are other things that I can do that others like to copy.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:25 AM
Power Poster

Not to insult your sister, but there are no "Quilt Police" who have absolute say in what is or is not a good design, or a creative design. Simply because she has different ideas, DOES NOT mean that they are better, just different. If you have an idea in mind, JUST GO FOR IT GIRL, and I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised at the results. Put her comments aside and follow through on your original idea, then won't she be surprised when it becomes a beautiful quilt, all your own design? If this happens again, just thank your sister for her suggestions and tell her you will think about it, then do it your way - what comes from your heart. I'm sure your quilt will be beautiful.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
I also struggle with original ideas. So I have become content to find patterns and fabrics that i see in magazines or online and make something like those. If I make the quilt it is 'mine', and as long as I am not selling it or claim credit for the design, what's the big deal? As I have gotten more quilts under my belt I am finding it easier to modify something that inspires me to make it a little more original. Relax and just try to enjoy whatever you are making. Those sparks may come over time.
I always seem to find everyone else's opinions to be the opposite of mine, but I often go ahead and like the result. I am imitative, not original, but still have a sense of what colors I like with what others.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:58 AM
Power Poster

If you had spotted this same "change/idea" on a board like Pinterest or here - and thought it was an improvement- would it bother you to use that idea?

Would you still consider this "your" quilt if you used it?
Old 09-22-2014, 12:58 PM

Thanks for the latest replies. Tonight I'm in a hotel and the wifi only works with my iPad on the floor, so I'll respond when I can do so more comfortably!
Old 09-22-2014, 01:03 PM

There are some things in life I am not interested in or very good at. I still struggle with some of my color choices, how I should put something together etc. I am willing to bet there are other areas that you shine in. I have had to swallow my pride a few times as I quilt with ladies who are so much better than myself. I have learned to be happy and my mistakes I chalk up to learning.